Chapter 3

When I finally get to my truck I unlock it and dig through my stuff. Luckily I have a few work shirts in there. I quickly grab a tank top, one of my long sleeve button-down black and red plaid work shirts. I dig through and thankfully find one of my work pairs of pants that are torn and have permanent grease stains from working on the tractor with my dad. I slam the doors and head back into school.

 I run into the girls’ bathroom only to see Nicole and Kathy waiting for me. Who both look pissed as all get out. I walk over to the sink and put my head in where they both start rinsing out my hair. Once that’s done I quickly change in my work clothes. When I walk out of the bathroom stall I put my head under the hand dryer and push the button. After a few minutes it’s still wet but not dripping. Nicole pulls out a hair brush and quickly gets all the tangles out. She then quickly does a French braid. Once she’s done I turn around and I know I have tears in my eyes. Her and Kathy wrap me in a hug. I let them for a moment and push out of it. I know if they hold me too long I will burst into tears. I’m a ball of embarrassment and anger.

‘Thanks for helping me guys.’ I murmur quietly.

‘Oh shut up. What are friends for?’ Kathy asks in a ‘duh’ voice. I laugh instantly feeling a little better.

‘Has the bell rang?’ as I finish that sentence it goes off. Sweet I have 5 minutes to get to English. Well at least it’s just down the end of this building. ‘Nevermind, I’ll see you guys later in Chemistry.’ I toss over my shoulder as they head one way and I go the other. I stop by my locker and grab a thicker notebook for English and another pen. I also throw my dirty clothes in the bottom of the locker since I don’t want any of my other books to get sticky.

The rest of the day passes uneventfully except for the whispers and stares. Only 1 more year and at least the senior’s will be gone. The only bad thing is that Derek is leaving too. I shrug off my depressing thoughts and head out the front doors of the gym with Nicole. We quietly walk over to our vehicles.

‘Did you get any homework today?’ she asks.

‘Nope. Thank the Lord. I have to do work some today though with dad.’ I say looking away from her knowing eyes.

‘Call me if you need me.’ She says. I nod my head at her still not meeting her eyes. ‘I love you Liz, I’ll see you tomorrow.’

‘Alright see you tomorrow girly.’ I say putting a fake grin on my face. She rolls her eyes at me, I don’t know why I even try and fool her.

I hope in my truck and turn it on. I grab my iPhone and plug it into my stereo jack. I love the sound system in my truck, it can play any style I want to hear and I can change the settings. Like when I listen to rap I have bad ass speaks under my back seats that will make the bass super loud. It’s perfect. However after my day today I search through artist and happily select The Pretty Reckless. Once the song list pops up I quickly select You Make Me Wanna Die. I roll down my windows and turn it up as loud as it will go. I click on my seat belt and look in my rearview to see everyone that is still here, which is most of the school, turn and look at my truck. By the time I’m reversing the chorus is on and blasting out of my windows. I smirk and sing along with it as I pull out of my spot.