Chapter 33

Chapter 33

The chanting began and they encouraged me to say yes. I stood frozen on the spot staring at him in shock. I brought my hands up to my eyes wiping away the tears from my eyes before giving a slight nod. The crowd cheered as Kyler handed the microphone back to the DJ and ran up to me. He picked me up and spun me around. I laughed even though my eyes stung of happy tears. He tilted my head towards his and took my lips. The DJ turned up the music and the club returned the how it usually was. A few people kept looking up at us but I was totally focussed on Kyler. I gasped as he slid the ring onto my middle finger. I held out my left hand in front of me as I watched the diamond reflected light from the disco balls.

“It’s beautiful Kyler. Did you get this in one night?” I asked, looking up.

“Yeah, but I spent hours picking it.” He replied looking into my eyes. I smiled at the thought.

“I love you.” I told him and he smiled back.

“I love you too. And I didn’t ask because of the baby. I was planning on asking at six months if things worked out but I guess…” He trailed off before taking my lips again.

The weeks after that went by in a whirlwind. It’s been two weeks since he proposed and we had organised a parent meeting dinner tonight. I was extremely nervous. I mean, I know my mum isn’t the easiest person to be around but at the end of the day, she’s the one who brought me up and I love her unconditionally for that.

Kyler pulled me into a hug and reassured me that everything would be alright. We were in a restaurant in New York because my mum had stayed with Del when I left to go back with Jayson. I couldn’t bear the thought of troubling everyone so I asked for a week off. Jayson had reluctantly agreed. I knew I was being very unfair, to come back and leave again.

My mum arrived first and made her appearance as the waiter showed her into the private room. I stood up and gave her a hug along with a peck on the cheek. Kyler followed in response. His dad arrived just after in a business suit and I got up and introduced myself, meeting personally for the first time. He gave me a warm smile before giving Kyler a hug. After the introductions had been made, we ordered our entrees and mains before beginning to get to know each other.

“So Serenity, I believe you work in the fashion entertainment business.” Alexander, Kyler’s father, started conversationally.

“Yeah. I’m the co-owner of Blaze Magazine.” I answered not liking where this was going.

“I believe the business is based in Sydney, is it not?” He asked.

“It’s a worldwide magazine. It has great influence in fashion industry. I’m proud of where we had come but we do indeed only have a building in Sydney. We ship out of monthly issues.” I explained, knowing this was going exactly where I didn’t want it to.

“Kyler’s main home and headquarters are in New York. Have you two discussed what you’ll do after you get married?” He looked at us expectantly and I glanced at Kyler uncomfortably.

“Surely you’re not planning on a long distance relationship?” My mum exclaimed in horror. Full points for helping me out here Mum.

“I’m considering signing over my ownership to my partner and moving to New York before attempting to make it as a fashion designer.” I allowed. I saw the fleeting surprise pass Kyler’s face.

“That’s a wonderful idea.” Alexander nodded with approval.

“I think so too.” My mum agreed. “You always wanted to design clothes. Didn’t you say you were designing the wedding dress for Madame Agnés?” She asked, just as the entrees came in. The waiter served each of our dishes and I noticed the shake in his hands as he opened the wine. The bottle must be worth quite a lot for him to be so nervous. I almost felt sorry the guy from the glare he got from Kyler as he poured the wine slightly off course and it run down the side of my glass. I picked up a serviette and wiped it clean, reassuring him it wasn’t a big deal, even though I wasn’t sure if a few drops cost a grand or so.