Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Chris?” I asked, just making sure it was him.

“Reni, you have to come deal with this.” He spoke annoyed. “Liam is an asshole and he’s refusing to even listen to –”

 “Chris, you don’t understand –” I ran a hand through my hair, my mind whirling for a solution to every problem at hand.

“Reni, you don’t understand. It’s not working. Can’t you come in and help sort it out?” I heard the yelling and arguing in the background.

“Chris, who’s arguing –” Once again, I was cut off as he answered.

“Liam and Penelope. She’s been siding with me. She’s frustrated that we aren’t getting anywhere. You have to come.”

“Chris, listen to me.” I demanded gently. “I’m not in London at the moment. I’m in New York.” I sighed, finally getting that out.

There was a pause before he yelled desperately. “You’re where?”

“New York.” I repeated. “Look, I’ll catch the next flight back. I can’t stay for more than a week though.” A tiny voice in my head was now yelling at me. You can’t afford to stay more than an hour for that matter. How on earth are you going finish the dress now?

I closed my eyes and thought it through. I’ll make the sashes over at London then. Oh, just imagine the stress when I finally have to put everything together.

“Thank you.” He breathed out shyly before hanging up. That wasn’t even the hard part, now I have to get out of the New York and go to London. Before I can do that, I have to talk to Kyler. I don’t think this will be pretty.

I left my room and headed towards his bedroom. I knocked three times before opening the door. “Kyler?” I called and I searched the empty room. “Damn.” I murmured.

I ran down the hallway and turned to the main staircase. I hurried down the stairs and looked both ways before running into a maid.

“Excuse me.” I stopped her gently by placing my hand on her arm. “Did Kyler leave?”

“Yes, ma’am. He just left. I can call a cab for you. I’m sure he’s headed to the headquarters.” She put the laundry basket onto the table and looked at me expectantly.

“Thanks.” I nodded and let go of her arm and she headed for the phone. I headed back upstairs and changed into more appropriate clothes instead my night slip before heading back down. I thanked the maid again before leaving and speed walking down the long driveway, knowing that the guards wouldn’t let the cab through.

About five minutes and a long walk later, I arrived at the gate and greeted the guards. They nodded their greetings and I walked out and hopped in to the already waiting cab outside.

“Do you know where we’re going?” I asked the driver, hoping that the maid had told him because I had no idea the specific address of the Thorne Headquarters.

“Yes, Thorne Headquarters?” He asked for confirmation.

“That’s about right. Let’s go.” I smiled politely at him and he drove out into the highway.

<> 

It was a strange feeling when the receptionist stood and bowed politely at my entrance. Some janitors also lowered their heads with respect. Back at my company, we were a friendly community and everyone knew almost everyone – well at least in their departments.

Devon came down and pulled me into a hug. I grinned and pulled back. “Someone’s eager to see me.” I winked, teasingly.

“Of course. Anytime for you, milady.” He replied as he swept a gallant bow. I burst into a fit of laughter and whacked him lightly on the shoulder. He grinned as the elevator dinged open.