Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Delaney!” I ran into his open arms and hugged him.

“Hello there, lil sis.” Delaney gave me a warm look just as the elevator gave a ding and opened. He ushered me into the elevator and began to throw questions at me. “Why are you in London? Jayson knows you’re halfway across the world right?” He raised his eyebrows expectantly.

“Of course. He even booked my room for me.” I replied.

“Jayson only booked a room for you?” Delaney knew us too well.

“Suite.” I gave him a broad smile. “Presidential suite. Anyway, why are you in London?” I returned his question.

“Business, unlike you.” He gave me a knowing look and laughed at my expression.

“How come you instantly assume this isn’t work related?” I pouted playfully.

“’Cos I’m your big bro and you’re exactly like me and right now, I’m definitely wishing it wasn’t.” He winked.

“Awww, fine. You’re right. Mum’s been bothering me for a while about … yeah, you know who.”

“Mum’s still going on about him? Wow. But it’s like old news now. Don’t listen to what she says.” He advised wisely.

“You’re the best Del!” I gave him another hug, “You’re the first to say that so far.” I pointed out with a roll of my eyes.

“First? But it’s been like years.” He widened his eyes in surprise and I nodded, agreeing with him silently.

“Yeah but I guess everyone’s worried about how you haven’t dated since right?” He asked, hitting the nail on the head.

“Right again. Gosh, I know they’re just worried but it’s so bothersome.” I sighed, frustration overtaking me just thinking about it. Why do they keep going on about my personal life? Not that there’s much to go on about, well, except for what’s not in my personal life.

Del clicked his fingers like he always does when he gets a great idea. “I’ve got a slightly less formal business party tomorrow. You wanna go as my partner?”

“Depends.” I sang back.

Now he frowned. “On?”

“What it’s for.” I gave him a duh look. “I’m not attending some boring function just because you need some entertainment.”

“Ouch. They’re not all boring. I’m not such a dull person. C’mon lil sis. “

“What it’s for?” I pressed on my question.

He sighed in defeat. “Celebration for this guy’s birthday.”

“This guy?” I frowned. This guy? Really?

“He’s the son of the current Chairman of the Thorne conglomerate.”

“Wow! Thorne! You know them?” I asked him in awe. I’ve seen photos of them in multiple magazines.

“Not really. Everyone from headquarters’ is attending. Thorne does business with us. Never actually met the Chairman or his son.”

“You do business with Thorne? That’s incredible!” I drew in a deep breath and began to consider carefully and thoroughly. Then I held out my hand and made a cash gesture. “Pay me?”

“No way! You’re asking me to pay my lil sis to be my partner at some boring function?”

“Yup. It’s not interesting enough for me to go for free. Take it or leave it.” I slowly withdrew my hand, giving him time to grab it.