Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I woke up with the quilt tucked neatly under my chin. I sat up and gingerly pulled myself into my own embrace, relishing in his touch last night. I guess it’s been too long. At that moment, Kyler walked in wearing a loose black shirt and skinny jeans.

“Reni, get up. I want to take you somewhere.” He threw me a vintage floral dress and I sat on the bed looking at him expectantly.

“What?” He looked around before realising I wanted him out so I could change. “Yeah okay. Hurry up.” He walked out and I threw the quilt off me and changed quickly. I went to the bathroom and hurriedly did all the morning stuff before heading downstairs.

“Finally.” He heaved a sigh when he saw me.

“Well, sorry. It does take time for a maiden to get ready.” I apologized sarcastically and he ushered me out the door.

“Nice place by the way.” I commented as I hopped into the limo.

“Yeah.” He answered succinctly and signalled for the chauffeur to go.

“It’s pretty big for a holiday place.” I pressed on.

“It’s not.” He took out his phone and began to text someone.

“What do you mean?” I frowned in confusion.

“It’s my normal place. Our headquarters’ in New York.”

“Well, you, umm, live alone?” I let my voice trail off, trying to keep a conversation going.

“Yeah.” He pressed a button on the side of the limo and a table like thing popped out. He opened his laptop and began to type something.

“What about your father?” I asked, as his fingers flew across the keys in a rapid manner.

“He lives in another place here.”

“Oh.” I ended the conversation on a flat note and we just sat there in silence. I glanced at his laptop and watched as he replied to emails, typed up documents and logged into his business network to talk to someone.

“Why are you never in your office?” I asked, watching as his fingers paused, hovering above the keys as he turned to look at me.

“I am, usually when you are occupied by something else.” He was about to return to his laptop when the limo came to a stop and I eagerly peered outside.

He opened the door and I walked out. I was surprised to see where he had bought me to. “So, a shopping mall, aye?” I teased even though I knew he wouldn’t even crack a smile.

“Devon should be here in three, two and one.” He counted down with his fingers and sure enough, Devon came running over, through the crowd.

“That’s pretty cool.” I commented as Devon stood beside us.

“He told me ten minutes ago. I was still in the office, man.” He addressed each of us.

“We’re getting some new clothes for Reni today.” He told Devon and once again I picked up on the calm, trusted and less cold tone of his voice. They must go way back.

“Oh this would be fun.” An evil gleam appeared in Devon’s eyes as he swept me into the mall and towards the first shop he saw.

“No. No. No.” I shook my head, trying to use the floor to keep me where I was. “I’m not shopping for lingerie with you.” I begged him desperately with my eyes but to no avail. He grinned as he pushed me into the store and my cheeks flamed.