Chapter 34

Chapter 34

< Kyler >

I heard Reni scream from behind me and spun around in surprise. I felt my heart sink as I saw the blood seeping out of the wound and she clutched it in pain. I glanced past her as I rushed forward to catch her before she hit the ground to see the retreating figure of a very familiar man.

Louie Porter. Damn.

I noticed that our guards had reacted promptly and disarmed him before tackling him to the ground. I asked the guy nearest to me to take him to the call the cops while I dialled for an ambulance. The crowd had finally noticed the bleeding body on the floor and many had taken their phones out to call for help. Thank god for that, I could hardly press the buttons on my phone. When I finally got through, the lady on the other side assured me that they had sent someone on their way. I cursed and told them to hurry up before hanging up and running my eyes over her body.

She was looked extremely pale and I clutched tightly onto her, catching sight of her mum and my father rushed out of the restaurant to check out the commotion. When Lily saw her daughter she cried out as she rushed towards us before dropping down next to me. She shook her a few times before bursting into tears.

I felt the slightest bit relieved as I heard the sirens of an ambulance drawing closer. I pulled her nearer towards me and placed my hands over her stomach. I didn’t have to be a doctor to know the survival of the baby was very slim.

If only I hadn’t blown up in the restaurant. Then we would have stayed for dessert. Then when we left, I would have been way more alert. I silently blamed myself, beating myself up on the inside.

I looked up as the ambulance stopped on the curb beside me and a man and woman came rushing towards us with a stretcher. They yelled a bunch of things at each other before lifting Reni onto the stretcher and taking her into the ambulance.

I couldn’t bear to ride in there with her, she just looking so weak and pained so I chose to drive myself over. When I arrived outside her surgery room, chaos hit. There was yelling, orders and demands. I could feel the tension rising and I didn’t have to be told twice, to glance twice to see the grim looks etched on their faces.

I collapsed into one of the plastic chairs and clasped my hands together, praying.

<> 

When the surgeon came out to break the news, I felt a wash of relief. She was okay. At this point in time, she mattered. When he announced that the bullet missed all vitals, I felt my heart lift. I knew that the baby wouldn’t survive but I wasn’t sure how she’ll take it.

“When can we see her?” I pressed, grabbing the doctor before he left. He smiled tautly.

“I’m not sure if she should receive visitors until tomorrow morning.” He informed before nodding and walking away.

I sighed and sat back down my hands shaking in relief. I spotted Devon walking towards me. I’m not sure whether that was good or bad. It basically means that it’s been so long that Devon made it here from New York already, even though he was halfway out when it happened. Once he neared, the anger hit me straight away.

“Kyler.” He greeted, bluntly. “Is she okay?”

“Mmm, yeah, it missed her vitals. But she miscarried. Obviously.” I answered with hate, hate that I couldn’t protect her. “Tell me how the fuck the bastard escaped from fucking prison?” I glared at him knowing it was unreasonable but unable to stop myself.

“I’m still trying to clarify the details but I think he paid someone off, over two million. I dug deeper into his background and I have confirmed that he comes from wealth. It wouldn’t have been hard to get the money. A federal officer is in charge of this case. She arrested the guy who was paid and Reni’s ex.”