Chapter 23

Chapter 23

“How safe are we if we stay in New York?” Kyler rounded his desk and folded his arms across his chest. I kept my head lowered and worked on the dress, attentively listening.

“They’re following us so no matter where we go, they’ll know. I have no idea how they see us though. We’re trying to work it out. I’ve got four men on both of you in case something happens.” Devon reported.

“Should we go to Avalon?” Kyler asked leaning against the desk. Avalon?

“That’s probably the safest. We can have security monitor every inch of the island from lighthouse and security towers.” Island? Avalon Island? The Thorne’s private island?

“Make sure to deploy everyone we have that’s not on my sister or Dad onto the island.” Kyler ordered and Devon left the room. I spun around on my chair.

“Avalon Island?” I asked with curiosity obvious in my tone. Kyler turned slowly and faced me.

“Our private island. Named after my grandmother. My grandfather named it after her when he bought it.”

“Wow. Are we going there?” I asked excitedly.

“We’re going there to avoid danger and you’re bouncing up and down about it.” He rolled his eyes and turned away. “We’re leaving tonight at dusk. Gather up your stuff.”

<> 

–– At The Island ––

“It’s a-ma-zing.” I sang as we stepped foot onto the island. I noticed ship had arrived earlier than us and the security were already patrolling the island.

“That’s what I said when I first saw it!” Devon laughed and ran across the sand. “I still think it when I see it.”

“I sent someone to set up our things. The stuff should already be in the villa here.” Kyler stepped up beside me. “It’s been too long.” He sighed as he gazed at the seemingly endless trail of sand that went around the island. I looked away from him and ran over to Devon, still having the hurt from that day at the park lingering inside me.

“Devon, take me inside the forest.” I demanded and he laughed.

“C’mon.” He grabbed my arm and pulled me into the forest I noticed how dark it was from the closeness of the trees but once we were inside, we were out almost as soon. The forest lead to open clearing, and there stood what was obviously the villa.

“That’s the villa.” Devon pointed out before leading me around the villa and further into the forest. “Come. I’ll show you this really awesome place we discovered myself a few years back.” He ran through a bunch of trees and I soon wondered if he was lost.

“Are we lost?” I asked, noticing he had dragged me around for a while.

“We were lost when we discovered this. We both memorised the route from then on. So no.” Devon turned back and grinned like a child.

“What’s this amazing place?” I called out and Devon shook his head.

“No way! You have to wait and see. We’re almost there.” He slowed down and peered down at this one tree, before gesturing to our left. “This way.” He said and pulled me across. As we neared the exit of the forest, Devon proudly introduced me to their amazing place.

I gasped as I saw the crystal clear gleaming water. I could see the sandy bottom from where I was standing and behind the small pond was a large willow tree drooping over it, letting in just the right amount of sun.