Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“Lou—Louie.” I gasped softly. Devon and Kyler exchanged looks before giving me puzzled ones.

“Serenity, it’s been a while.” Louie managed, before murmuring something into the ear of the woman standing beside him. She nodded and scampered off to who knows where. He then reached out towards me and I instinctively took a step back. Kyler must have noticed something was wrong because he wrapped his hands around my waist, taking on a boyfriend role.

“Reni, care to introduce us?” He pulled me back gently, making me lean back against him. I tensed in his hold before replying.

“Yeah sure. Kyler, this is Louie Porter, Louie, this is Kyler Thorne.” I concentrated on trying not to stumble over his name. Kyler tightened his hold around my waist, and I slowly loosened up in his arms, feeling safe.

“So this is your current boyfriend?” Louie asked, sounding a slight bit malicious.

“Kyler.” I whimpered softly. I felt the heartbreak all over again as I saw him. I really thought I had moved on, but every memory of him still hurts me. The bad ones took over the good ones and all I can really remember are the awful things he did to me.

“Yeah, I’m her boyfriend. Anyone who’s read the news recently would know.” Kyler answered his question.

“So –” Louie probably had something hurtful to say but Kyler cut him off.

“I’m sorry. Reni and I have something to attend to. I’m sure you two can catch up later.” Kyler nodded a goodbye before he walked past him with one arm still slung across my waist. Devon obediently followed after us, giving Louie one last curious glance.

“You still up for the shoes?” Kyler stopped me outside the store and pointed inside.

“Nah.” I shook my head and continued walking. “We’ll come back another day.” I had totally lost all my happy spirit today.

Neither decided to press on the matter. They probably just assumed he was an ex-boyfriend, but it was way more than that. I stepped into the limo, followed by Kyler.

“Devon’s not coming?” I asked as he shut the door.

“He’s going back to the office. Some stuff needs to be done.” He shrugged and I frowned.

“Don’t you need to be there too then?” He glanced up at me and shrugged.

“I need to get you home first.” He said as he yet again, pulled out his laptop.

“Nah, just stop by the office first then. I don’t mind being alone for a while.” I hinted subtly.

“Yeah sure then. Tommy, stop by the office, then drive Reni home.” He yelled out to the chauffeur. At once the car changed courses and went across two lanes. We rounded a few corners before pulling up in front of a high rise building.

“I’m going to go now. Call me if you need anything.” The chauffeur opened the door and he stepped. I raised an eyebrow. The chauffeur never did that any time else. Kyler stepped out and the guards at the door lowered their heads politely. The door closed at that moment and I pretty much didn’t see anything else.

“Ma’am, do you want to go anywhere before stopping by at home?”

“Would you?” I whispered softly, finding trouble getting my voice out.

“The nearest beach please.” I choked out.

“Ma’am, the Thorne’s own a private island. The beach there is amazing but you have to fly out so maybe somewhere else?” He reasoned. I leaned forward and handed him an address. He tapped the address onto the GPS when he widened his eyes in realisation.