Chapter 24

Chapter 24

For the second time in my life, I woke up to see Kyler’s face sleeping peacefully beside me. I shifted slightly and his eyes flew open. He shuffled back further away from me and turned his back to me as he got out of bed.

I sighed wearily and sat up. “Thanks for last night.” I offered a small smile and he nodded before heading off into the bathroom.

I stumbled out of the room and spotted Devon coming down the hall. “Morning.” I greeted unenthusiastically and he grabbed my shoulder.

“Hey, what’s wrong? You look horrible. The storm’s passed.” He eyed me carefully and I sighed again. I could already sense that today would be a bad day.

“How so?” I asked feebly.

“Your eyes are swollen and there’re dark circles under your eyes.” He pointed out frankly. Ouch.

“Yeah, nightmares. I don’t doubt your word.” I felt just as bad as he made it seem.

“I’ll cook a comforting breakfast. Just come to the dining room after you fixed yourself up. Your bed hair is admirable.” He winked and turned back around to head to the kitchen. I shuffled to another bathroom down the hall and winced as soon as I saw myself.

“Wow. You look stunning. Way to go.” I mocked sarcastically at the me in the mirror. I turned on the tap and began to fix myself up to the best possible extent.

“Hurry up, Reni. Devon’s cooking for you today!” I heard Kyler yell as he passed the bathroom. I turned the tap off with a flick of my wrist and headed out.

After finishing Devon’s delectable waffles and bacon and egg breakfast, I hurried back to my room to work on my dress. I had spent most of my time hanging out at the beach yesterday and hardly got much done.

Smiling with satisfaction, I dropped my needle and admired the finished bottom half of the dress. I gave it a once over and I smiled with satisfaction. I ran a hand down the silky fabric and moved the dress down and grabbed the crystal beads I had chosen back in New York and began to bead the bodice.

I decided to stick with my design of a vineyard. I focussed intently on the neckline as I beaded the first few in. I cursed at my unsteady hand but persevered. I then remembered the sash from the other day and grabbed for. I placed it at the cut it in two and placed it in the middle after creating a gathered look to it. I grabbed the beads and traced an outline of a leaf down the middle joining the two sashes together. Perfecto.

I stitched it on and patted it down before continuing with the rest of the bodice. I hadn’t noticed Kyler coming in and when he placed a hand on my arm, I jumped in shock and pricked myself. I cursed a few more times and reeled back. I nursed my finger as Kyler apologized frantically. After the blood stopped, I looked up at him and asked him what he wanted.

“Devon had to go check up on the security here so I was heading down to The Oasis. You want to come?” He lowered his eyes down to the dress and looked impressed. “Wow, you’ve done a lot. Looks good.”

“Sure. Let’s go.” I put down the needle and beads and left with him.

When I walked with Devon, it took about ten minutes for us to reach The Oasis. With Kyler, it took five and he never peered down at a tree. I knew Devon had gotten lost. He was too proud to admit it. I laughed as I near the shade that the willow tree provided. I sat down on the soft grass and Kyler slid down beside me.

“Do you believe in fate?” He asked as soon as we sat down. I looked at him surprised. His first question had caught me off guard.

“Fate, huh?” I closed my eyes and leaned back against willow tree trunk. “I believe in fate.” I answered with certainty. “Things are meant to happen for a reason. Being human, our actions change things and fate works along with us adjusting every time we do something. When fate decides time is right, I’ll meet my fated person.”