Chapter 31

Chapter 31

“How long have you known?” He breathed as he laid his cutlery down on his table.

“A while.” I allowed, not wanting him to know I had known since he first became aware of his feelings a few years ago. “Look, Jay, it breaks my heart every time you look at me like that.”

He snorted. “Sure it does.” He quickly regained an expressionless face.

“Jay,” I began again, “I really do care for you just no more than a best friend. Just because we’re talking now doesn’t change anything between us.” I reached out and placed my hand on his arm and he jerked it away. I pulled back, slightly hurt, but knowing he was a lot more.

“Serenity, don’t.” He stood up and I tried to stop him but he backed away. “Give me the night.”

I watched forlornly as he walked away. I called out for Mr Wang and handed him a fifty note and told him to keep the change. I ran out of the shop and looked both ways only to find him nowhere in sight. I sighed and headed back into the office. I asked his secretary where he was only to be told that he had called in to have the afternoon off.

I received a pleasant surprise later that night. “Kyler!” I ran into his arms as he kissed me softly on the lips. “What are you doing here?” I frowned as I realised I was actually back in Sydney.

“I just missed you so I dug through all my papers looking for some business in Sydney.” He murmured and we broke apart as I heard a cough behind us.

“Oh!” I turned around as Hazel looked us slyly.

“Reni, you forgot to lock the doors.” She gestured to main door that I had to lock every night. I left his arms and locked the doors with a swipe of my key card. I walked back and introduced both of them to each other.

“This is Hazel my secretary.” I began as I wrapped my blazer tighter around me. “I’m sure you know who he is even if I don’t introduce him.” I teased before giving the formal introduction.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Kyler responded politely and with which Hazel returned with a dazzling smile. I frowned as she did so and she laughed.

“Reni, as young and beautiful I might look, I do have a hot as husband waiting for me back at home!” She mocked. It was true. At her young age of twenty four, she married her high school sweetheart at the age of twenty one. It bought back the faith that some fated to be relationships did work out and mine just happened to not be one of them.

“Sometimes I forget!” I grinned back ruefully.

“Jealous now, are we?” He whispered softly into my ear and I blushed at both his closeness and his words.

Hazel shook her head, amused. “I’ll leave you two to it. I’m going to leave. Good evening Mr Thorne, see you tomorrow Reni!” She called before unlocking her car and driving away. That left Kyler and I together in the parking lot.

“You’re beautiful in a suit. The skirt is very alluring. It shows off your legs beautifully.” He whispered as he pushed me against his Mercedes. I initiated the kiss as I wrapped my arms his neck bringing his mouth down on mine. He responded passionately as I drowned in the perfection of everything.

“I would love to take you here but it would be more appropriate at a hotel, no?” He asked sounding as breathless as I was.

“Mmm. Okay let’s go.” I pulled away and he opened the door, as gentlemanly as always. I got in and admired the steely interior of the vehicle. As Kyler got into the driver’s seat he started the car and sped out of the parking lot.

<> 

We laid satiated beside each other and I curled up closer against him. He wrapped his arms around me and used one to lift my chin up gently to meet his lips. I groaned as he began to trail kisses down my neck, going at it again.

“Kyler, it’s been hours. I have work tomorrow.” I pushed him weakly, feeling the pleasure engulf me again.

“Are you sure?” He stopped momentarily and glanced up at me. I glared at him.

“You asked that last time as well.” I threw at him.

“You can always say yes when I ask.” He answered simply, resuming what he was doing.

“You know damn well –” I threw my head back as he moved down towards my navel. “For god’s sake,” I huffed.

“I don’t know when I can see you next.” He murmured.

“I know but I’ll be exhausted when I start tomorrow and –” I tried but he cut me off capturing my lips yet again.

“You talk too much.” He whispered against my lips, which were swollen from the intensity of his kisses.

“I’m hoping to be back in Sydney next month.” He pulled back before wrapping his arms around me. “Go to sleep. You actually do look exhausted.” He laughed and I closed my eyes letting the pleasant sound of his laughter be my lullaby for tonight’s short sleep.

<> 

– Three Weeks Later –

Jayson and I had a fairly normal two weeks together. Nothing had changed and I made sure of that. The atmosphere in the office had been joyous and cheerful. I couldn’t help but feel fatigued as I locked up the building.

I stared at the parking lot wistfully wishing Kyler was here. He had promised a month and it had indeed been three weeks since I saw him and still no sign of him in person. He would call almost every day and I revelled in the fact I still got to hear his voice. Some of the calls were shorter than other but I just glad I got that he took the time to call me.

Hazel waved her hands in front of me. “Are you okay?” She frowned as took a closer look at my face. “You look pale. Very pale.” She repeated worriedly.

“Nah, I’m just tired and I have cramps. I think my periods coming soon.” I laughed it off and she frowned even more deeply.

“I swear your period comes a week before mine and mine just started.” She commented.

“Are you sure?” I thought back and calculated it. No … She’s right.

“Maybe I’m pregnant?” I joked. “It’s late and I’m getting cramps now so it should be coming soon. When I was a kid, every time it was even a day late, I almost couldn’t sleep because I thought I was pregnant even when I didn’t sleep with anyone at the time.” I laughed at the memory but Hazel frowned even deeper.

Are you?” She asked and I turned and looked at her serious expression.

“No!” I laughed again. “I’m on the pill again…” I froze as I thought back to three weeks ago.

“What’s wrong?”She pressed.

“I stopped taking the pill after I ended my relationship with Louie but when we were in Avalon, Kyler used condoms every time we slept together. When we came back I asked a doctor to prescribe it but I think I forgot to take it the day we slept together three weeks ago.” I gripped my car as it hit me.

“Oh my god.” She eyed me concerned as I gripped my stomach.

“Can you go buy a test from the chemist and meet me back at my apartment?” I asked and she nodded, hopping into her car. I got into mine and leaned back against the seat the full reality of the situation suddenly hitting me. I started up the car and hurried home to seek comfort in the familiar environment.

“Reni, open the door.” Hazel’s voice sounded on the other side of the door twenty taxing minutes later.

“Did you buy it?” I asked, before nodding as she held up a brown paper bag.

“Go do it.” She pushed gently as she handed me the bag. I trembled slightly, at the stakes that rested on the test. I went inside the bathroom and did the test before coming back out again to wait for the results. After a few minutes, my breath caught and I dropped the test, hearing it clatter on the floor.

“Hazel…” My voice shook as I spoke. “There are two lines.”