Chapter Twenty Two

Tara's POV

It's been over a week since we returned from India and things have gone back to the way it should be. I still miss my mom but now I've decided to let go and move on. It's easy to decide what to do or how to do it but actual moving on is difficult than anticipated.

Work has kept me distracted, which is a good thing, also being a full time mother is exhausting. I love my kid but she is incredibly energetic and I'm not.

Xavier and I were having dinner tonight at my place since it is the first night in the whole week where we aren't working late. Jessica decided she would cook since I'm in no shape or mood to cook with the exploding workload.

We entered my home and I was surprised not to find my daughter running around, waiting for me. I peeked into her bedroom and she was busy scribbling something. I left her to do her thing while I changed into something comfortable.

"Where's Emma?" asked Jess as soon as I came out after changing. "Is everything okay? She's awfully quiet today"

"Yes I noticed. I tried to talk but she didn't say anything. She's your daughter that way." Jessica snorted

"Now what does that mean?" I frowned at her statement

"You know how you both don't talk about stuff when something is bothering you and wait till someone's head explode."

"Okay okay. Maybe something in school must've happened. Did you check her school bag?" Xavier suggested.

Jessica took out a paper from her bag and stared at it without saying anything and then passed it to me. I read the school notice and the blood ran cold in my body. I didn't say anything either.

When I didn't reply to Xavier's endless question, he stood up and took the notice itself and read it out loud "With the approaching father's day. School is excited to celebrate it with all the fathers and.." he trailed knowing it's worthless reading any further.

They were organising father children activities for Father's day and kids are supposed to bring their dads to this thing. But my daughter doesn't have a father.

"I'm going to talk to Emma." I said in a monotone.

"Tara.. I can talk-" Jessica suggested but I cut her off.

"No. She's my daughter and she's upset about her dad. I should talk to her."

I went to her room and stood at door admiring my little girl. She's incredible and so beautiful and I can't imagine anything or anyone that could hurt her but I can't protect her from this. I can push this and try to avoid this but I can't change this. It is the bitter reality of my life.

"Hey honey. Whatcha doing?" I asked

She looked at me but didn't say anything. She's upset, I can tell. I tried talking to her for fifteen minutes about daycare and her friends in the park and the pictures she drew but nothing caught her attention. She didn't talk to me about any of those things.

"Hey, so I saw the notice for the Father's day celebration. There are a lot of activities listed. So are you excited do all those stuff with your super cool Mom? It'll be fun, huh!" This seemed to caught her attention as she looked up at me finally.

"You are not my dad. You are Mom. It is for Dad. I don't have any Dad." She said in a low sad voice that broke my heart into million little pieces. I never wanted my daughter to feel abandoned. "Where is my dad, mom?" She asked me the one question that I still haven't figured out how to respond.

"Baby.. I'll go with you and Jessica can go and it'll so much fun."

She frowned and then her beautiful smile turned upside down and she looked incredibly upset "I want a Dad too. Please mommy. Where is Dad?"