Chapter Thirty Six

Tara's POV

It has been a week since our move and the place still isn't set up. I want to make Xavier's home more homely but I haven't found any time yet. I've been busy with work and setting up Emma's room just the way she likes it.

Setting Emma's room hasn't been easy. She has a lot of demands and with Xavier here with her to support, they both gang up on me and make me surrender. I brought some new curtains and flowers to add color to his dull living room. It looks nice now.

After resetting the pillows on the couch and positioning the dinner table to face it towards the window I felt tired and hungry. I opened our huge refrigerator but shockingly there was no real food. Some cheese and leftovers was all we had in our house to eat. I haven't even gotten a chance to restock the kitchen.

"Xavier.." I called out. He was in Emma's room playing with her. "Xavier.." I called again but this time both of them came out. Emma was hanging on Xavier's arms giggling about something. It was an adorable sight.

"We're going to the grocery store. No questions asked. We need real food to survive." I said before him asking. I sat down and started preparing the list.

We drove to the grocery store in Xavier's car. We talked about our days and Emma told us the new story she learnt in her school. It was comfortable and family like.

I walked through the aisles of the store alone filling out my list while Xavier and Emma decided to do their own shopping. I picked the last item on the list and made my way to the billing. Xavier and Emma were already waiting for me.

My eyes widened as I saw their shopping cart. It was filled with chips, chocolates and gummy bears.

"Everything in your cart is unhealthy. We didn't come here to buy this." I told Xavier who just smiled at me innocently.

"Please mommy. Please" Emma pleaded joining her hands together and making puppy face. She's getting good.

"Oh come on mommy! Chill!" Xavier said which earned him a glare.

He pulled out his card and paid for the crap. He handed me the card and said "You pay for those. We'll be in the car... Eating gummy bears" he said the last part in a whisper to Emma who then giggled quietly.

"Xavier.. hey.." he already left before I could say no to those gummy bears. I shook my head and smiled.

I started unloading the cart when the lady behind me spoke.

"Your family?" She asked smilingly.

She was definitely in her 60s. Her hair where white though I could see the sign of dyeing. She had wrinkles highlighting her age even more. Even though she was old but she looked beautiful. You can see those sharp features of her face behind her wrinkled face. Somehow she looked familiar, like someone I should have known but I didn't.

I realized I was staring for a quite a while. "Yeah. That's my family. Crazy, right?" I said quickly and she laughed.

"Families are crazy but you gotta love them for that."

"Yeah that is true. I do love them dearly."

"You should. You've an adorable family."

"Why thank you." I put the last item on the billing counter and gave them the card. I collected all my bags turned to the lady I was talking to. "I'm Tara by the way. It was nice meeting you."

"Likewise. Leah West." We shook hands and I left.

When I returned to the car both Xavier and Emma where crunching on that crap. It is incredibly unhealthy.