Chapter Fifteen

Tara's POV

I opened the door to our apartment and jumped in surprise as soon as I saw Xavier sitting on the couch and watching TV.

"You know I gave that key in case of emergency, not to scare me."

He laughed and got up to kiss me "I didn't mean to. I just wanted to see Emma before heading home but no one was home so I decided to wait."

I kept my purse and all the paperwork on the dinner table deciding to complete it later in peace and quiet "Oh yes. She has gone to a wedding with Jess. Some colleague of hers"

"And left you all alone?"

"Well my daughter loves wedding so she really doesn't care much about me when it comes to being a part of one."

I took water out of the fridge and pour it for myself. I took the class and came to sit next to him on the couch.

"We should have a sleepover." Xavier said with his smug smile.

"Haha but no. I've a lot of work and I want to do it before Emma returns"

Xavier didn't reply although I could feel the gears in his brain spinning trying to come up with something.

"I've a farmhouse on the outskirts of the city. We should go there."

"Impromptu getaway?"

"Yes. It'll be fun and relaxing and you could seriously use a break from all the working."

I thought about it and he was right I do need a little break from all work at office and being a mother everyday. "Fine. I'll inform Jess and let her know"

"You do that and I'll get the necessary arrangements done. I'll pick you up in an hour"

I nodded and he left.

I jumped and called Jessica to inform about my plan and she was more than happy to take care of Emma for me. I quickly packed my stuff and waited for Xavier to come.

The ride was long and after the long day I had at work, there was no way I was able to stay awake throughout. I felt asleep after a little while and Xavier had to carry me to his farmhouse.

I woke up after my nice little nap and it was already dinner time. I came downstairs and Xavier was sitting on the porch. His farmhouse was too colourful for his taste which means Sapphire had a little bit of contribution in the decor. It wasn't very big or flashy like the farmhouses you see in the movies or television. It was kind of cozy and had a homely feel to it. I liked it.

"Hey you're up." Xavier said breaking the train of my thoughts "I'll order some food"

"Or I can cook?" I suggested. I may not be the best chef in the world but I survive.

"You can?"

"Yes I can. I'm not going to make something fancy or anything since I'm not that good" I searched the kitchen for the available ingredients "I can whip up a pasta with the available ingredients real quick."

"Are you sure? We can always order."

I poured him a glass of wine and gave it to him "You enjoy this and watch me cook" He smiled and nodded.

He obliged me and watched me cook. We ate our food on the porch watching the view in complete yet comfortable silence. I loved the feeling, it was exactly what I need from all the work stress that I've had recently.

I woke up and the clock read 10 am. It is the most I've slept in the past few weeks. I haven't had such peaceful night in such a long time without all the stress and deadlines and Emma's school and my office and everything. There was a note on the side table beside the clock, I picked up and read it.