Chapter Forty

Tara's POV

I sat on our couch and kept thinking about the turn of events in the past two days. I never thought I was going to see Brad let alone pay him to leave us alone. A part of me felt horrible as he was still Emma's Dad and one day she might want to know him but knowing how much he didn't care about her I relieved that I'm never going to see him again. It was stressful time and it sucked that Xavier's wasn't here.

I've become so dependent on his presence that even a slight discomfort reminds me how easily he makes me feel okay. It's crazy how you wake up one day and realize you love a person so much so that you can't live without them. Love is scary not because it the scariest part of life but because once you know what it is, you can never go back. You feel the love in your veins and the thought of going through life without it is terrifying. Once a pair of eyes were just a organ in a body but now when you look at the eyes of the person you love, you feel the calmness. It grounds you, give you hope, it makes you feel so secure that you're ready to do the scariest thing in life. It is complex feeling but once you know that feeling, living without it is a struggle.

I checked my phone for the hundredth time and still no answer. I sighed and decided that rather than sitting around waiting for the mother or the son to call I should take my daughter to the park that she's dying to go.

I plugged my phone to the charger and took Emma to the park. I sat on the bench as I watched her play. She looked so happy and cheerful. Looking at her being so easy makes my heart swell and everything I ever did for her feels right. She's the most precious person I've and I would literally jump in fire for her. I can't let anything happen to my daughter ever. She's the most right and best decision I've ever made in my entire life.

On the way back home Emma fell asleep. She looked so cute and peaceful in her sleep like a little angel. I carried her inside the house and was surprised by Xavier's presence. I wasn't expecting him.

"You're home" he turned and faced me. He had a straight face probably because of the crisis in New York. "Could you wait? I'll put her in bed and then we can talk. Oh I missed you so much." He didn't reply so I walked towards Emma's room and put her in the bed.

I came out and saw Xavier going through my phone. The expression on his face were of pure hurt. I figured what he found out and why he was being so quiet.

"Xavier I kn-"

He cut me off and began talking himself "My phone died and I lost my charger so I figured I'll use yours. I came home and your phone was buzzing constantly. I picked it up thinking it was urgent but some Leah kept texting you. I couldn't believe myself" he laughed dryly and it gave me chills "I opened and read the texts and realized it was indeed my mother. Surprise. How long have you know her? And don't you dare say crap like privacy right now." He warned me.

"Over six months" I whispered, afraid to upset him further.

He laughed again and it was starting to worry me. I never intended to hurt him. I know it was my fault but all I wanted was for him to have some closure.

"Great. So how long has this been going on?" He showed me a picture of me sitting in that fancy restaurant with Brad holding my hand. To any bystander it would look like a date.

"This is not-"

"-what it looks like?" I nodded timidly "I've heard that one before. My dad sent me this asking if you left me or anything was wrong. He told me you're one of those girls and I dismissed him saying I know you. You're never going to hurt me but guess what? I was wrong."

Tears were already pooling in my eyes. This isn't how I wanted him to find out anything. It was the worst possible way anyone can ever think of.

"Xavier, listen to me.." I tried to get hold of him but he shoved my hand "Your Dad is just trying to manipulate you. There is more to why your mother left than what he told you. I know the truth and I want you to talk to her. You'll know-"