Chapter Forty Two

Tara's POV

I looked at the decoration one more time and something still seem off. I couldn't put a finger on it but something definitely needs to be done correctly.

"It's the lights. Mom, they're directed to the opposite side so they're not putting enough focus on the flowers. If you could just have them adjust the light it would be perfect." My beautiful daughter suggested. I can't believe she's now old enough to teach me things.

"Okay honey, I'll get it fixed. Did you get his gift?" I asked.

"Yeah! They dropped it. I still don't get why you have to give him a coffee maker. I'm pretty sure he has one." Emma said picking up the balloon from the way and spread them in a different direction.

"Oh!" I giggled "It has a story. The first time I met Edward, we were in Xav-." I stopped myself from taking that name and Emma stopped in the tracks knowing what I was going to say. I cleared my throat and spoke again. "We were so busy talking that we didn't even realize how but we broke the coffee machine. We still have no idea how that happened."

She laughed "That's a cute story. I'm going to go and look what I'm going to wear tonight. Love you"

"Love you too."

I saw her walking towards her friend and her sitter Jeena. She waved me a last time before getting in the car and driving away.

After that horrible night six years ago I had nowhere to go. I thought of calling Jessica but I didn't want her to drop everything and come for me. She deserves happiness. After alot of thought and crying I called Edward who told me to drop everything and come to Texas.

I dropped everything and moved to Texas. I wanted a new start and Edward and Ivey were generous enough to give me one. It wasn't easy leaving your life behind but it was away from Xavier and all the hurtful memories.

I took a job as a professor in one of Ivey's college. She had opened several schools and colleges around Texas for the underprivileged students. I teach interior designing to these students and now I'm the Dean. Ivey, Edward's sweet wife was nothing but supportive. She was there for me anytime I needed her. She helped me in my breakup. She never got jealous of how good friends Edward and I were. She made everything so easy and at home.

I saw Edward coming towards me with a frown on his face. I know that look. He's freaking out about the size of the party.

"How many people Tara? How many people are coming?" He asked. I can tell he was freaking out a little bit.

"Just some investors, some teachers and bunch of your friends. You haven't had any celebration in two years. People were expecting big."

He nodded smilingly "People expect free food. Anyway, the lights are directed in the wrong direction."

"Yeah, Emma pointed it out. I'll have them fix it."

"Is she still up to be my date? I'm not going to find a last minute sassy date replacement."

I laughed "She just left to decide what to wear. I would say she's ready."

"Cool. I'm gonna go. Standing here and looking at all this might give me a heart attack" he kissed my cheek lightly. "See you tonight. Also, I got you this." He started running towards his car before I could object to anything.

Three years ago Ivey was diagnosed with cancer but she was fighter so rather than sitting around and mopping she started the treatment right away. After a year of chemo and radiation, nothing changed so they decided that rather than staying in the hospital in pain and misery she wants to stay at home. Two years ago she died a peaceful death. It was sad but uplifting.