Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Finally we arrived in Korea. I still remember the days when I used to joke with my parents about going to Korea. While listening to the radio that plays kpop in the night my mum and I would always say "Let's visit Korea one day".My dad would playfully agree but no one ever took it seriously. On the other hand my brother has no reaction and is least bothered.

It's sooo cold ~ Brrrrr. This is like the first time I have ever experienced this kind of weather. In Singapore it's like summer all year long. Now coming to Korea and feeling the real cold is really and drastic change for me and my family. I always wanted to touch snow. In 18 years of my life I never had the opportunity to touch snow. The really cold feeling yet at the same time the soft feeling.

"IT'S SO FLUFFY!" My brother randomly shouted after stepping out of the airport.

"LOL Despicable me is so old.."

"I don't care that fluffy line is very good!"

"Fine fine whatever you say," I replied and started walking away following my parents to the taxi stand.

"Oh yah Dad by the way where are we going to stay? Hotel?"

"Err...no we are going to stay at one of my friends house. He moved to korea 2 years ago." My dad explained.

"Oh I see...."

After a 1 hour journey we finally arrived at our destination. I was so sleepy and tired that I unwillingly dragged myself out of the car and helped my parents with the luggage. I was sort of the strongest one in the family apart from my father. I always carried the bags whenever we travelled alone without my dad. I like that I am strong. My friends and I alway used to have arm wrestling matches to find out whose the strongest. I used to win almost every time! I am gonna miss those days. I thought to myself while walking towards the entrance of the house.

Wow the house was huge! I never thought my father had such a rich friend. My family is not poor we are average. My mum had always wanted to live in a house that looked like this. She always wanted a house with a garden and a porch. Plants grew neatly along the borders of the garden. There was even a small pond with fishes.

"I wonder how our fishes are doing?" My dad wondered aloud.

We used to own fishes but before moving to Korea we sold them. They were really active fishes. When we bought them they were the same size but strangely over one year one of the fishes became super huge the other shrunk in size. I know it doesn't make sense but it actually happened.

*Ding Dong*

We heard some footsteps and whispering behind the door.

"Is it them? Are there here?"

"Yes yes they are here,"

After hearing someone ask about which I assume was us they finally opened the door.

"Justin! Long time no see!" A middle aged man with some hair missing, friendly greeted my dad.

"Roy! We finally meet. It's good to see you! Oh and this is my family. This is my wife Anna, these are my children Jasmine and Tan." My dad replied

"Hello it's nice to meet you, sir " I greeted bowing down to give respect.

"Oh no please don't call me sir. You can call me ajusshi."

"What's ajusshi?" My dumb brother asked.

"It means uncle..." I said to my brother

"Oh Jasmine knows korean" A lady standing beside ajusshi said.

"Oh by the way this is my wife Belle" Ajusshi introduced her wife.

Suddenly I started giggling. I just realized something.

"My mum's name plus ahjumma's name becomes another name Annabelle."

After everyone said that they stared at me blankly.

"Nice going sis" I heard my brother whisper to me.

"Ah joesonghabnida(Sorry)," I said. Shit that was embarrassing. Next time I should keep my thoughts to myself.

"Hahaha no problem. It is a true fact indeed. I hope to be really great friends with your mother," Ahjumma replied.

I gave her a nervous smile and we made our way into the house. The house was indeed huge. It even had a second floor. It has been a long time since I have been in a house like this. There was a huge flat screen TV molted on the wall and a very comfy looking sofa in the living room. The dinning room was beautiful. It was like the ones you see in interior design magazines. I wondered if they had a lot of food in the huge fridge. In Singapore we had a huge fridge but there was absolutely nothing inside besides milk, eggs and vegetables. No snacks. No drinks. Those were the sad days. I really hope that it is not repeated.

We quietly made our way to the living room and started discussing about which rooms we were going to get. The next topic was schooling. I was told that I am going to attend "high school" since I am 18. I still had 1 more year until I graduated. In Singapore I used to attend junior college so I am not really sure of the situation here in Korea.

I was wondering if they had any children but I guess not. The house was so quiet once we went to our own rooms. I gasped in awe as I saw how beautiful the room was. The wall was painted in light pink. A huge comfy bed in the middle of the room and a....wow a....PIANO!? at the corner. I have been playing piano since I was 13. It has always been one of my hobbies. There was a sliding closet and the room was also bathroom attached. And here's the best part, there was a balcony facing the back of the house. I realized that they had a garden with a swing at the back of the house. This really was a dream come true. From the balcony we could see the neighbours balcony facing the same direction as mine. After enjoying the view for a while I headed back into the room to unpack my stuff.I neatly placed my clothes in the closet and my books on the racks. After unpacking I decided to play the piano for a while. I placed my hands gently on the keys and tried to recall the notes of a sweet melody. I decided to play Thousand Years by Christina Peri. It was a very good song.I was so mesmerized in playing that I did not realize that my family, ahjumma and ahjusshi were standing at my door. After the song ended I suddenly heard clapping. I almost fell out of the chair in shock since I did not know anyone was listening. Truth is they were not the only ones listening.

"Wow Jasmine! You can play really well!" Ahjumma complimented me and everyone nodded in agreement.

"Thank you," I replied shyly looking at the floor.

"Haha anyway dinner is ready! You can head down anytime you want,"

"Oh I will go down just in a minute," I said.

I smiled to myself and though "I think I am gonna like it here!"

--------------------END------------------

So that was chapter 4 :) Thks for reading ^^