27 // A BORING THING THAT SHOOTS WATER OUT OF ITS NOSE

I WAS OUT THE back with Millicent, who was pulling the grass out of the ground as I fed the chickens. She didn't like them too much, she thought they were possessed for whatever reason.

"Is that Tequila?"

I looked up quickly and Elijah was sitting on the porch. He didn't look very different, except for his hair. It was about shoulder length now, and he looked just as good as he did with short hair.

"Mhmm," I hummed. "Dad says they're going to stop laying eggs within the month, but they won't die for another two or three years."

"Nice," Elijah smiled. He put his hand on Millicent's head and she looked up at him in disgust.

"Boys shouldn't have long hair," she told him.

"Boys can have long hair," Elijah disagreed with her. "Boys can even wear dresses and high heels and makeup if they want."

"But... they're for girls," she frowned.

"Don't believe in gender roles kid," he advised her.

"You can have one of my dresses if you want," she told him.

"I don't think they'll fit me," he laughed. I locked the coop behind me and I sighed.

"What do you want Elijah?" I asked.

"I wanted to take you out to dinner tonight," he answered and Millicent continued pulling the grass out of the ground.

"No," I answered and started to water the flower beds. "I meant it Elijah, I'm over you."

"Then dinner will be easy," he said quickly. "We can eat in complete silence and it won't be awkward at all."

"I'm not going to dinner with you Elijah," I told him slowly and Millicent narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't do it Millie."

"Why are you being mean?" She asked. "Mummy says that people who say no are lazy, because no is shorter than yes."

"Well mummy is an unsavoury word that I'm not going to repeat," I muttered.

"Millicent thinks you should come to dinner with me," Elijah smirked.

"Yup," she agreed.

"Fine," I sighed, "but I'm driving. I still don't trust you in a vehicle."

He grinned at me, that same Elijah grin from two years ago.

***

I wore a simple white dress that reached just above my knee. The bodice reminded me a bit like a china plate, with an intricate navy blue and white lace design. The skirt kind of flared out a little bit and I loved it.

"Where are you going?" Vincent demanded as I started down the stairs.

"I'm going to dinner with Elijah," I told him as I searched down the side of the couch for my car keys.

"No you're not," he scoffed. "I'm getting married Devon. You can't just go gallivanting around with assholes like Elijah."

"Mhmm," I hummed and found my keys sitting in the fruit bowl on the counter. "I'll be back in two or so hours."

"Devon!" Vincent cried as I left the house. I checked my bag and made sure I had everything I needed before going to knock on the Morgan's door. He opened it almost as soon as I'd knocked and smiled. He was in skinny jeans and a short sleeved button up that had pineapples on them.

"You ready to go?" I asked.

"Yeah," he nodded and shut the door behind him. I drove to a restaurant in the city that I'd only been to twice before, but it was nice and affordable. We were seated and after the waiter took our orders, I took a deep breath.