22 // HOW ABOUT YOU LISTEN TO JESUS

I AWOKE TO THE sound of something being dropped on wood. I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes before looking around my room for the noise. I gasped as I saw Elijah sitting in my desk chair.

"Elijah," I hissed and looked at my alarm clock. "It's three in the morning!"

"What's this?" He demanded and held something up. I squinted to see what he was holding and then froze. He had the photo and the necklace.

"How did you-" I started.

"You were acting weird," he interrupted. "I wanted to know why. Why would you keep this from me?"

"Because it's not important," I said quickly. "I don't care what you did before you went to military school. You're a dif-"

"Wait," he scoffed. "You think I slept with Jessie?"

"I-I mean, the necklace was in your room. Not Isiah's," I muttered.

"Devon I never slept with Jessie," he told me and for a moment it sounded like he was angry. "Quite honestly, I'm fucking annoyed that you would think that. I told you how everything went down and if I had of been having it out with Jessie at the time, I would have told you about it."

I was glad that it was dark, because Elijah couldn't tell that I was crying right now.

"I thought we were at the point where we could trust each other with everything," he spat.

"I'm sorry," I whispered and I wish I hadn't said it because my voice was so shaky that it must have been so obvious that I was crying now.

"D-Devon," he stammered and I saw him get up from the chair. He came over and crouched by my bed. "I didn't mean to make you cry."

"Circus was right," I sighed. "You have no reason to be with me."

"What?" He asked. "Are you kidding me? You're going to listen to a drug addict?"

"I'm nothing like the kind of women you would normally go for," I told him. "We're polar opposites Elijah. You're fun and I'm annoying. You're cool and I'm on the bottom of the food chain. You liked me when I was nine years old. I'm so much different now."

"Do you think that I care?" He scoffed. "That's why I'm with you Devon. You're different. Different from how you were, different to every one else, different to me. You're pure and nice and everything I want. Don't listen to Circus, or anyone else. Listen to me and only me."

"How about you listen to Jesus," I huffed. "We aren't good together Elijah!"

"If I wasn't so fucking annoyed right now, I would be laughing my ass off," he mumbled.

"I'm serious Elijah," I whispered.

"Well a relationship is a two-sided thing," he snapped. "Two sides, two people. I'm the second person and I say no."

"Your logic is flawed," I told him.

"Devon, we can make this thing work," he assured me. He reached up and wiped my cheeks which kind of made me want to cry even more. "Don't leave me."

"Okay," I nodded. He let out a sigh and then kissed me. "Listen, the next time you want to stay over for the night, just ask. Don't just pop in at three in the morning."

He laughed and crawled over me to lay on the other side of my bed.

***

I gasped and shot up in shock as the water drenched me.

"W-Who?!" I sputtered and struggled to open my eyes. I heard Elijah whining beside me and I finally managed to see who it was that had ruined my morning. "Vincent!"