23 // GO CHECK HER PANTIE DRAWER OR SOMETHING

ELIJAH AND I LOCKED eyes in a staring contest. The loser would have to grab their respected chicken, put them in a bag and try to smuggle them into the public pools.

"You're not supposed to blink at a superior officer at military school," Elijah smirked at me. "I have been training for this for the past year."

"What ever," I scoffed. "When I win, I'm going to make you swim with the chicken."

"Of course you will," he muttered.

"Give up," my dad scoffed. "There is no way I'm letting you take my chickens outside of the backyard."

"Dad!" I cried and looked away from Elijah to glare at him. "Why would you ruin our bets?!"

"Because underage gambling is prohibited in this household," he answered and finished filling the chicken's food trough. He locked the coop's door as he left it and walked over the the stream, which was more a hole filled with water than a stream.

"I'm going to remember this," I warned him.

"Please do," he scoffed. "Underage gambling could lead to a serious gambling problem. This is a good life lesson Dev."

"I hate you," I informed him. He laughed and closed the backdoor behind him as he entered the house.

"What now?" Elijah whined.

"There's nothing else to do," I shrugged. "I mean, we could watch some movies but that's still pretty boring."

"We should go find a lake and fish," he suggested.

"No," I sighed. "It's kind of cold."

Elijah sighed too and leaned back to lie down on the grass. He stared up at the sky, which was a little too grey for my liking, and it was almost as though he was cloud watching.

"I've been thinking about the necklace," he told me. "I found it under my bed. Normally, the only thing under there is that case for my books, you know?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I remember."

"I took books with me to military school," he said. "The necklace wasn't under there when I left."

"Are you sure?" I checked.

"Mhmm," he hummed. "I would have seen it."

"But Jessie was gone before you left," I frowned.

"I know," he agreed. "That's why I've been thinking about it so much."

"Maybe she gave Isiah the necklace before she left and he just lost it in your room while you were gone," I tried.

"I don't think so," he mumbled. "I can't explain it, I just feel like we're missing something. When did Jessie get back from France?"

"In February I think," I answered. "Why?"

"Come on," he said as he got to his feet.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To Jessie's house," he replied.

"Jessie is out with Vince right now," I told him.

"I know," he shrugged. "We're going to break in."

***

"This is a really bad idea," I whispered. "As in, not making a boat water-proof type bad."

"Stop being dramatic," Elijah scoffed as he picked the welcome mat up. "Hmm, could of sworn it would be there."

"What would?" I asked.