10 // SEVEN TONNES OF GREEN EGGS AND HAM

"GO AND SIT DOWN," Elijah ordered me, "I'll get you some cake."

"Thanks," I smiled and went to sit at a table in front of a window. I looked out and across the street, but there was something blindingly bright in the opposite store. I shaded my eyes to try and see what it was.

The store across the road was a dress store, a fancy one. 

Madame Bouvier's Boutique.

I tilted my head a little to get an actual look at the dress in the window and felt my heart melt. The dress had a sweetheart neckline and the bodice was covered in glitter, or sequins. Whatever it was, the sun reflecting off of it was enough to blind someone wearing four pairs of sunglasses.

The skirt was made of, what looked like, satin. It fell to the floor and it had silver rhinestones from the waist to the knee of the dress. 

It was absolutely gorgeous.

"What are you looking at?"

I looked up in shock and Elijah was sitting opposite me. He slid a slice of cake towards me and I thanked him.

"So what was it?" Elijah repeated and looked out the window. 

"Nothing," I shrugged and dug a fork into the cake. 

"Madame Bouvie- What does that say?" He tried. 

"Madame Bouvier's Boutique," I told him. "It's a uh... Dress shop."

"Dress shop?" He scoffed. "What do you want in a dress shop?"

"Seven tonnes of green eggs and ham," I answered sarcastically. Elijah laughed, not that fake one he gave to his friends. It was spontaneous and sounded like it came through his nose rather than his mouth. 

Elijah and I were friends once, all the way back in primary school. In fact, it was even before Isiah and I had first spoken. 

"You want to go and try one on?" Elijah checked. 

"A dress?" I rose an eyebrow at him. "I don't want to waste your time Eli."

"You won't," he smiled. "I like seeing you in pretty things."

I narrowed my eyes at him and he smirked.

"I have more important things to do," I told him. "Maybe another time."

Elijah nodded and we finished the rest of our cake. We spent another hour and a half wandering through the city before we got the text from Isiah. When we made it back to the car, Isiah was shoving boxes  into the trunk. 

"How much did you buy Ken?" Elijah asked as he watched his brother. 

"Not much," she shrugged. "Less than normal I guess."

Elijah gave me a look, and it took everything I had not to start laughing. 

***

I opened the door and saw my father slumped over the dining table. I rose a questioning eyebrow at the scene in front of me. I could hear him snoring quietly, and from where I was standing it looked like he was thinner. 

I hadn't seen my dad lately because if he wasn't at work he was sitting in some pub drinking his life away. But the last time I saw him, he definitely didn't look like a soulless ghost. 

I checked down the hallway to see if Vincent and Lindsay were home, but they weren't and I decided to go up to my room and leave him be. As I was climbing the stairs, however, I heard him stirring. When I looked over, he was sitting up. But he looked confused, like he didn't know where he was.