Special Chapter: Love Is (Halo's POV)

Halo:

Three years ago...

Why couldn't they just leave me alone?

I ignored the two boys who were behind me as I put my books back in my locker. They followed me here, which was already uncomfortable enough. Now they wouldn't leave no matter what I said.

"I said no," I repeated, emphasizing the last word.

"Come on," pleaded Jackson, leaning an arm on the locker beside mine. He just got in the basketball team, along with his friend Brendan. "Don't be prissy."

They were both in my year. They were both ambitious, too. Sadly, they seemed to think I was the key to their success.

I tried to glower at them. I didn't think it was very effective, though.

Brendan added, "Just date my man Jackson over here and we'll leave you alone."

They only wanted me to date Jackson so he could kiss up to Pops. He wanted to be a starter on the basketball team. But with the way he was playing, that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon. He was really baaad, like those aliens in Space Jam.

"Think of it this way, you'll be popular overnight."

I highly doubted that. He wasn't even on the student body radar. I wouldn't have known him if he wasn't in my Calculus class. Did he think that line was going to sweep me off my feet?

I wanted to snort. But I didn't, because that would be rude.

"You can sit with us during lunch, too."

"No, thanks," I declined. "I have friends."

Very good ones, too. The minty green-haired boy I met in the cafeteria during my first week in high school turned out to be one of the coolest people I now knew.

"But they ain't as cool as us," sneered Brendan.

"Come on, Halo," purred Jackson, touching my shoulder.

I flinched at the contact and quickly stepped away from him.

Please just go away.

"Frankenstein called. He wants his face back."

I blinked, my eyes widening in disbelief as I stared at the person who spoke. He looked fresh out of the showers. He must've came straight from the football field.

Actually, it was Frankenstein's monster. But I didn't want to correct him. He was Oz Lacy, for crying out loud.

Jackson turned to Oz. "Did you say something?"

"Oh, you weren't mute?" asked Oz innocently.

He had the face of an angel, so of course he could pull off the innocent look well enough. Innocent wet look, to be exact.

"Did I say I was?" fumed Jackson.

"Technically," started Oz slowly, as if he was talking to a toddler, "if you were mute, you wouldn't be able to talk."

"Don't be a smartass."

"Am I being one?" Oz tilted his head sideways in the cutest way and a crooked smile appeared on his chiseled face. "How would you know?"

I raised the book I was holding to my mouth to cover my grin.

He was really good at this.

Jackson attempted to walk towards Oz but Brendan stopped him.

"Come on, man. He ain't worth it."

"Listen to your girlfriend," taunted Oz.

I couldn't help it, a little giggle escaped my lips. Jackson heard it, though, and he instantly got pissed. So he did what any provoked teen male would do in his position – he went after Oz.

Before I knew what the frickle frackle was happening, Jackson was lying on his back on the ground and Brendan was patting him on the shoulder.

"Told ya. That's Oz Lacy."

With that simple information, they scattered away. Finally. I watched the two of them disappear to a corner, and shook my head. Pumpkinheads.

When I turned back to Oz to say my thanks, he was already near the end of the corridor by the trophy case. He seemed to be staring intently at something there.

I bit my lip, clutching my book to my chest.

I should say thank you to him, right? It would only be the polite thing to do. He went out of his way to help me, after all.

I was about to step closer, when something whooshed past me. The first thing I noticed was her red hair, then her slim body. Then, our eyes met for the tiniest second.

It was Snow Crimson.

She faced her front again, stopping when she was several feet away from him.

"Oz?"

He almost jumped in startle as he whipped his head to her direction. He looked surprised, but then his expression softened when he saw her.

I had no idea that he was capable of having that look.

"Snow."

"Is the offer still up?" She sounded hopeful.

He smiled at her. "Yeah."

With that, they walked outside and headed to the parking lot together. Without them knowing, I was watching – silently witnessing everything. Ehem, stalker alert.

I didn't even realize that I walked by the trophy case until the lights caught my peripheral vision. My eyes wandered to the case and absently scanned the names. That was when I saw the Lacy siblings all on there.

Walking closer to the case, my right hand reached up and touched the glass.

Oz was staring at this with a sad look in his eyes just several minutes ago. Not many people could say that they've ever seen him look that way. I doubted they would even believe their own eyes.

A small smile touched my lips.

There was definitely something more to him than what other people see. I was sure of it. In fact, I was willing to bet my whole Harry Potter collection on it.

Raising my head, I turned to the doors.

At that moment, I decided that Oz Lacy was a mystery.

_____________

Love ya, dudes! xx

PS. Please don't ask me to post the epilogue here. Y'all know posting epilogues on my full length novels is not my thing. Please understand. :( Thank you!