Chapter 1: Last Resort

"Remind me again why we're stealing beers?"

I turned off the engine and looked through the rearview mirror.

"You can back out, Frisco," I told my favorite curly-haired wide receiver.

"I heard the guy who owns this place is a big football fan," he continued.

A little sigh escaped my lips. Frisco was always the nice guy. At least, he tried to be. Sometimes, I forgot why we were even friends. He was too good to be hanging out with me.

"He'll let us buy some."

I sneered at him. "Where's the fun in that?"

Besides, the owner of this store was a racist piece of shit. He wouldn't let Kurt buy anything when we dropped by here once. Where was the justice in that?

Sure, I shouldn't be talking about being righteous since I was far from it – and I've probably done worse things than him. But hell, he was living in the twenty-first fucking century. Plus, he insulted one of my boys. Anybody who ain't stupid knew better than to cross me and my team.

Frisco wouldn't know that because it happened in our freshman year. He didn't transfer until around sophomore year from San Francisco (hence the nickname).

"He'll see it coming if I come along," Kurt said, disappointed.

I looked at him beside me. He had to sit in the front with me because of his big physique.

"I'll do it, then," Alfie volunteered, our resident quarterback. He grinned and mocked, "Too bad you won't have any fun tonight, Kurt. Sucks to be you."

We all knew that this kind of reckless behavior was Kurt's thing. And him having to stay put in the car was definitely eating him inside.

I flashed my best friend a wicked grin.

Alfie and I had known each other since we were nine years old. Despite our opposite looks, he got dark hair and very green eyes while I got blonde hair and very blue eyes, we got a lot of similarities in terms of likes and dislikes. Those years of mischief and loyalty formed some sort of unbreakable bond between us.

The only girl in the car giggled darkly.

Connie was cool to be around with. You could say she was 'one of the guys', but she dressed like a smokin' hot girl.

"I'll come, too," she said, her pale blue eyes twinkling in excitement.

"A'ight." I nodded. "Connie will be the distraction. Be the lookout," I added to Kurt. My eyes switched to Frisco.

He rolled his eyes. "As always."

I smirked.

He was always the getaway driver. Even if he was a righteous mofo, he was loyal. We managed to corrupt him a little bit in the past years. It did him good, loosening up and knowing what real fun felt like.

With one last look around the car, I got out. Alfie and Connie followed after me. I glanced over my shoulder. Alfie was carrying the back pack, while Connie was rearranging her top to show enough cleavage to distract the old man.

As soon as we entered, I nodded at Connie. She walked up to the counter, lowering her chest to give the old man an eyeful. The owner was reading a news paper when Connie came.

"Hi," she said seductively. "Do you sell lollipops here?"

Alfie and I walked towards the row of fridges, pretending to look at our options.

"Here, sweetheart," I heard the owner say.

I glanced at the counter in time to see Connie unwrap the lollipop and slowly put the thing in her mouth to put on a show. He was giving her his full attention. Hard not to, with a face like Connie's. But I guess he wasn't really looking at the face. The old bastard watched her like a sick fucker. I managed not to barf.