Chapter 24: Falling Slowly

I'm not drunk.

That was what I told myself as I climbed up on the porch of Coach Buckley's house and to the roof as quietly as I could, until I was right outside Halo's bedroom. The only light came from her window, the rest of the house was dead asleep.

I looked around the neighborhood. Street lamps lit up the empty road. Other than the barking dog from down the street, there was no sign of life.

I glanced at my wrist watch.

12:47am

I was supposed to be on my way home. There I was in my car, ready to hit the sack and all that shit. But somehow I ended up here.

Seriously, I'm not drunk.

Raising my hand, I lightly tapped on the window in front of me. It was a Friday night, so I was sure she was still awake reading a book or watching a rerun of her favorite show.

I just want to see her.

The curtain slid open, revealing Halo wearing a red polyester pajamas and a shirt that had a TEAM BELLARKE (whatever the hell that meant) on it. Her eyes widened when they saw me, and she quickly pulled open the window.

I carefully climbed in and finally had a better look on her. Her black hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail. From the dim light of her room, I could make out that she was confused as hell as to why I was here.

"Wha -" she started, completely baffled. She stopped, shook her head, and tried again. Scrutinizing my face, she asked, "What are you doing here?"

Without a word, I put my arms around her and hugged her before she could remember that she was supposed to be mad at me.

I let out a sigh, also washing away my doubts.

She was here. She was in my arms. She wasn't pushing me away.

I missed her.

"Hey, hey," she whispered softly, stroking my hair at the back of my neck.

I reached up a hand and gently, slowly tugged her ponytail to let loose her hair. Then, I buried my face in her hair like a fucking weirdo, loving the smell of her. She always smelled of lavender. It eased the tension in my body.

I wanted to remind myself of what I had now.

And I had her.

"I don't wanna fight anymore," I admitted.

"Me, too," she replied, with a muffled voice.

"I'm sorry for being a dick."

"Class A pumkinhead."

A smile played on my lips, and I leaned back my face so I could look at her.

"Class A pumkinhead," I repeated, rolling my eyes.

She laughed at that. But then after a moment, her laughter died down and she sighed. Her eyes avoided mine as she spoke again.

"I told you, though. I'm only your girlfriend. I don't have a say in -"

I shut her up with a kiss.

"Never say that," I whispered against her lips, welcoming the feel of her warm breath on my face. "There's nothing 'only' about you being my girlfriend." I pulled away to look her in the eye and show her I was serious. "Got it, dork?"

She nodded and looked down - probably to hide her face, but too late. I already caught her smile. Absentmindedly, she drew random little circles on my chest.