Chapter 34: Wonderwall

Please don't be dead.

With my eyes closed, I rubbed my face and released a deep breath.

I fucking hate this.

Frisco didn't deserve any of this shit. How could this happen?

With elbows on my knees and my hands clasped together, I stared at the ground. This was so fucked up. I felt like exploding at any moment, but at the same time I couldn't. I raised my hand to my head and gripped my hair tightly.

Waiting sucks ass.

Feeling helpless sucks ass.

Everything about tonight sucks fucking ass.

I felt Halo pat my back. She didn't say anything, only placing her chin on my shoulder. Her warm breath hit my cheeks, comforting me in a way.

"Sorry about tonight," I whispered, glancing at her.

She removed her hand on my back and looked away, avoiding my eyes. She knew right away that I was referring to my brother and sisters. I sat up straight and turned to her.

"To be honest, I wanted to leave," she murmured, her eyes trained on her fingers that played with the hem of her shirt. "I was a little bit overwhelmed – especially with Diana."

Diana could be a stuck up bitch, but she was reasonable enough sometimes. She didn't like Halo. But she was willing to give in because if she would have to choose, she'd rather I date Halo. She never liked Snow, because she fought back.

It was a big deal to them that Halo kept her calm. She didn't cry. She didn't snap back. She kept her back straight and took it all with a smile. They respected her for that.

I sighed. "Why didn't you let me know?"

"I didn't want to be rude."

"Halo."

She looked me in the eye and offered an uneasy smile. Her bottom lip trembled a bit, looking like she was on the verge of crying. My expression softened.

"You know what," I said quietly, reaching out a hand and wiping away the tear that escaped with a thumb. "You can be a damn good liar when you want to be."

She shrugged. "It comes with having strict grandparents."

I watched her for a moment. She sniffed and wrinkled her nose absentmindedly. Her eyes met mine and we stared at each other for a moment. I pulled her close to me and held her like that for a minute or two.

Then Kurt arrived, his phone still in his hand. My body went rigid again.

"Talked to my uncle," he stated, his voice devoid of emotions.

I waited, my expression going dead.

"He said they're currently investigating the car accident. They're running through the CCTVs right now. He'll call when there's something." He ran a hand through his hair and sat down on the bench across me and Halo. "This is seriously messed up."

I frowned, closed my eyes, and rubbed my temple.

"Do you want coffee?" Halo asked me, putting a hand on my cheek. "I'll get you some."

I opened my eyes and shook my head. "No, I'll get it. I need some fresh air, anyways." I pecked Halo's forehead and stood up. "Thanks, man," I told Kurt, walking toward him to fist bump before I headed to the elevators.

I wanted to hit something, but doing that wouldn't really help Frisco escape the hell he was in at the moment. I would just hurt myself. And if I was gonna hurt myself, it should be for something that mattered.