Chapter 8: You and I (junior year)

(juinor year)

"Can't believe you guys are still together."

"Wouldn't expect you to believe anything," I replied, putting on my leather jacket as I came down the stairs.

"Touche," nodded Alfie, his eyes never leaving the screen.

They were hanging out here in the basement at my place. The usual. They liked it here because there were no house rules, no parents to tell us what to do, no cleaning up after the messes we made (my folks had someone to come clean the house every weekend). It was the ultimate teenage dream.

It was a big ass house, almost like a mansion - and I had it all to myself. My friends liked to call it 'the white house.' Fuckin' A, right?

No. Not really. Not at all.

I hated this house.

The basement is the only place I feel really at home because this is where we almost always chilled at. It has its own bar, billiard, foosball, huge flat screen TV, xbox, wii - you name it, we own it.

"Gotta bounce," I said. Nodding to Kurt who was lounging by the bar drinking a soda, I called, "Keys, man."

We decided to switch our rides for tonight. I got his truck, while he got my sports car. I needed his truck for some special shit I planned to do for Snow tonight.

"Handle it with care," reminded Kurt, throwing the keys to me. "And y'all better make sure to take a detour to the car wash afterward, ya hear?"

I laughed. "No problem. Here's mine."

He nodded, catching my car keys.

"Say hi to Snow for me," added Connie casually, coming from the fridge on the corner of the room and carrying a can of Coke with her. She slumped on the armchair and watched Frisco try to beat Alfie at Madden NFL 15.

Frisco was a new addition to my inner circle of trusted friends. He was a good kid, only a year younger than us. A bit like Scout on the goody two shoes side but Frisco was a little more reserved.

We're trying to corrupt him with our ways so he can see the good in the bad. We don't share the secret with just anyone so he's lucky to have us.

"Sure thing," I told Connie. "Hey, Frisco. When I get back, you better have stepped up your game. I won't have anyone on my team suck at Madden."

"Already acting captain, are we?" chuckled Kurt.

"I am your captain," I smirked.

"Aye, aye!" exclaimed Alfie, raising a fist for a second before returning to the game.

I grabbed a throw pillow and swung it at my best friend. It hit him hard on the face, almost making him fall off the couch.

"Boom!" I threw my arms in the air. "Headshot!"

Laughter filled the room.

"Dude!" he yelped, frantically grabbing the console from the floor. "Not cool! I'm on my fourth down!"

"Thanks, Oz," laughed Frisco, nodding to me.

I only grinned. "Later, then. You know the drill."

They've been hanging out here long enough to make sure to lock up after they leave the basement. It wasn't really necessary because robbery in this neighborhood was as rare as Leonardo Di Carpio winning an Oscar, which had never happened. Tight security and all.

Fifteen minutes later, I was in front of the Crimson residence to pick up Snow for our date. Before her, I didn't usually do dates. There was never a need for it. But then I learned the difference between a bang bunny and a keeper.