Chapter 28 |Part 2|: The Kids Aren't Alright

We played some bit of football after that, just because. But the second we got back to the main building, we didn't waste time. We quickly went on with the plan.

Since Kurt was with Alfie out in the parking lot waiting for Finn, I helped out Frisco with bribing the basketball team's waterboy so that we could get inside their locker room. Frisco always used to be the lookout. This time, our roles were switched.

I kept alert as I scanned the quiet hallway, while Frisco was somewhere inside copying the Coach's stat books using his phone. I glanced at my watch. It was only fourth period. The students were still inside their boring classrooms, pretending to listen to the teacher and trying not to fall asleep as they wait for the lunch bell.

Leaning my back on the wall, my eyes landed on the bulletin board across the hall. It showed off a local newspaper picture of me with a football clutched under my arm.

That game was only last week. There was no way in hell would I ever forget that night. I broke the damn record for Most Rushing Touchdowns in NFHS, and was well on my way to breaking the Most Rushing Yards. Johnny G still held that record.

Clyde even called to congratulate me. It was a pretty big deal.

Huh. I didn't know the school gave enough shit to actually post it here, right by the basketball team's locker room. Bet they fucking loved that.

With a smirk, I glanced around the corridor again. I was starting to think we could pull this off. Who said sneaking inside the – Shit.

I quickly leaned away from the wall and tried to appear casual. I took a deep breath through my nose to calm my nerves, cracking my knuckles inside the jacket pockets for some relief. I cleared my throat quietly.

Why? Because just then, Snow passed by.

After all that reflecting shit I did, I thought we actually had a shot at being friends. In fact, I was kinda looking forward to it. She wasn't a bad company. I expected that the next time I saw her, I'd be real cool about it.

But since Frisco was somewhere he shouldn't be and I was supposed to be the lookout (I fucking suck at this), there was no way I could be cool around her right now.

She needed to go away.

As I tried to come up with a plan, I noticed she had a hall pass with her. I was about to turn away and leave when her eyes landed on me standing right outside the entrance.

Fuck. Too late.

"Hey," she greeted, walking to me.

Her long red hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail, something she always liked doing. It made her look sporty, which she definitely wasn't. Exercising to her meant rearranging her entire bookshelf. One time, I even caught her sniffing a book.

That was the thing about Snow. Looking like a hot sporty chick, you wouldn't know that she was into books until you got to know her.

I nodded casually. "Hey."

She turned her head and looked down the hall, as if just realizing exactly where we were. Crap. I wasn't sure it was possible, but I prayed that this would be one of the rare times where she didn't use much of her brain.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, tilting her head.

Her tone was more curiosity than accusatory. I decided that was a good sign.

"I'm," I paused, clearing my throat, "waiting for Coach Buckley."

She blinked. "Oh, okay," she replied, as if that made total sense.