Chapter 17 |Part 2|: She's So High

"OZ!"

"Feeling it now?"

"Yeah! Holy moly, I feel so high!"

"Told ya."

"How come I've never done this before?!"

I tried not to laugh. "Keep your voice down."

"Oops, sorry."

"Faster?"

"Yes! Push harder!"

"We'll get in trouble," I panted, looking around.

"You started it," she accused.

"I didn't tell you to get on and have a go."

She gasped. "Yes, you did!"

"Well, yeah," I shrugged, starting to grin. "But I didn't think you'd actually do it."

"Never underestimate the power of curiosity," she said, waggling a finger at me.

I snorted. "Whatever, dork."

"You even told me that it would be the ride of my life."

"Am I wrong?"

She didn't say anything, only shaking her head in response.

"Wait!" she shrieked, pointing sideways. "Grab that cereal!"

I pulled a stop on the pushcart and grabbed a cereal from the shelf, putting it in with her. Yep, she was sitting inside the cart. An old woman gave us a disapproving look when she passed by. I flashed her a grin in turn. She huffed and went on.

"I will never look at a pushcart the same way again," muttered Halo.

I chuckled. "What else is on the list?" I asked, peering down.

"Just one more." She raised a hand and pointed forward. "Steak sauce!"

I pushed the cart and headed to the isle where they had a bunch of sauces on display. I kept glancing at Halo's back. Her black hair was in a messy ponytail and she wore a big navy blue sweatshirt that had a 'Ravenclaw' logo on it. I noticed it earlier when I went to pick her up, and I also read Harry Potter when I was a kid so I was pretty familiar with it.

She looked so soft and cozy that I had to fucking stop myself from being a total creep and hug her every now and then.

"You know," I started, grabbing the bottle of steak sauce she pointed to and handing it to her, "I had no idea that doing errands could be fun."

"It usually isn't." She looked over her shoulder to smile broadly at me. "We just made it an adventure today."

I leaned down, placing my right elbow on the handle. I reached out the other hand to gently pinch her nose. Smiling crookedly, I said, "Thanks to me wheeling around the store."

Her purple eyes twinkled as she laughed and pulled her face away. "Okay, you win. All hail to the master of fun," she giggled, raising both hands.

"Bet your ass I'm the master of fun," I grinned, as I straightened up.

I regretted it instantly. The person staring back at me was someone who could ruin an awesome day like this and make into a fucking sobfest. No way in hell was I up for that.

"Oz," she acknowledged. When I didn't greet her back, her calculating eyes traveled to Halo. She didn't look pleased.

I caught Halo shrunk a bit in the cart, uncomfortable at the scrutiny the bitch in front of us was obviously giving. That pissed me off. I didn't like the fact that Halo felt threatened. I gripped the handle, my knuckles turning white.