Chapter 6: One Week (sophomore year)

(sophomore year)

What the hell?

A big crowd was forming in the hallways. Alfie and I were on our way to the parking lot to get ready for tonight's game. We just left from Coach's lectures. We just wanted to get home and chill, but we got stuck up with all the commotion here.

"What's going on?" Alfie asked a random guy.

"Cat fight."

I automatically exchanged looks with my best friend. He looked just as alarmed as I was.

"You don't think . . . ?" he trailed off, cocking his head to the side.

I got what he meant, and I nodded in answer.

Without word, we pushed our way to the eye of the crowd. It was easy. In no time, we were in the front row of the show. Confirming our thoughts, we immediately saw Connie on the floor, straddling another girl while she grabbed her hair and slapped her face with no mercy.

"Shit," I muttered, dropping my gym bag and pulling Connie off the girl.

Alfie pulled up his hands and blocked the other girl from attacking, saying, "Pull in the claws, babe."

I frowned. "What the hell, Con?"

She struggled to get away from my grip, but I was too strong for her. "Her ugly fucking ass is jealous because I hang out with you guys a lot," she hissed, looking more pissed than her usual bitchy self. She tried to get her arms free.

No way. I wasn't letting her go in that state.

The other girl scoffed, raising an eyebrow at Connie. "'Hang out'? Is that what you call it, sleeping with the whole football team?"

I stared at her. She was one to talk. I recognized her from being one of the many 'bang bunnies' of the upperclassmen. I might get crabs for even just touching her.

"They're called friends," corrected Connie slowly. "Something your tiny little brain won't understand seeing as all it can register is whoring around."

This was beginning to be an issue.

See, Connie was a bit like me. Her older brother, Drew Anderson, was a football hero. Naturally, any player on the team knew about him. He was a sophomore when he started taking her to parties (that was around the time we met) because no one was at home to look after her. And let's face it, their stepmonster was crazy.

If being exposed to that kind of thing was kinda traumatizing for me, how more do you think it affected her? So yeah, she'd rather hang out with us on the team because she knew we all treated her with respect.

No judgments. No drama.

Just plain old fun.

Hence, why she didn't have any female friends.

"You're just a slut," added the bang bunny, waggling a finger. "And you know it."

I looked over to Alfie. He shrugged. I felt Connie shaking so I turned back to her. Her expression was screaming bloody murder. She looked ready to pounce.

"Call me a slut again, bitch," warned Connie, with gritted teeth. "I dare you."

This wasn't gonna end well. We were attracting too much attention. Any minute now, a teacher will come and bring back order. No one would like that.

"What seems to be the problem here?"

I sighed. Speak of the devil.

The bang bunny ran to the teacher and sobbed as if she was the damn victim, grabbing his arm for effect. Well, she only looked the part since Connie did a number on her.