Chapter 19: Look After You

I'm going old school with this shit.

I picked up another pebble and threw it at her window. I could've just texted or called. But no, I had a hunch that she'd appreciate this more so I went with it. Plus, throwing rocks at other people's windows was helluva fun.

Finally, Halo's bedroom window slid open and her head peeked out. I sighed in relief. I was half dreading that I might've gotten the wrong room.

"Oz?"

"Hey, did I wake you?"

It was quarter past eleven in the evening, after all.

"No," she shook her head, rubbing her eyes.

"Come out with me," I said, jiggling the car keys in my hand.

"Now?"

"Yeah."

"Where?"

"Does it matter?"

I caught her biting her lip, then she smiled.

"Not really," she admitted shyly. "Give me a minute."

Thank fuck. I thought she'd refuse and I was gonna have to beg because we had school tomorrow. I didn't expect her to agree so quickly. I was glad she did, though.

True to her word, she climbed out of her window in under a minute. She was a bit slow in her movements, giving off the impression that she didn't do this often. She glanced down at the ground and hesitated when she realized how high it was.

"Jump," I urged, stepping forward and raising my arms. "I'll catch you."

"If you don't?" she feared, her voice slightly cracked.

"Then, we'll both end up with broken bones."

She huffed. "Thanks."

"Just being honest," I said with a grin. When she stepped closer to the edge, I added, "Remember to jump sideways, much easier for me to catch you that way."

"I'll haunt you if I die."

I had to cover my mouth to muffle my laughter at that.

Halo squeezed her eyes shut, which wasn't really smart if you were gonna jump from a roof. I was about to warn her but then she jumped just as I opened my mouth. Good thing I managed to catch her smoothly.

"You're heavier than I thought," I commented.

Nothing I couldn't handle, though.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

Of course, you would.

I put her down, now noticing her fully. Her hair was loose, and she had no make-up on. My eyes traveled down her body; she wore red plaid pajamas and an oversized Chicago Bulls sweater under a green coat. Quite festive.

"You look comfy," I remarked truthfully.

My shirt and jeans combo seemed dull compared to her getup.

She looked down on her clothes. "I figured since it's almost midnight, it'll be cold so I wore something cozy." She trained her eyes on me. "Why?" she asked slowly, watching me. Before I could explain, her eyes widened in realization and she gasped. "Oh, my goodness! Don't tell me – Actually, wait. Tell me – Is this a date?"

I opened my mouth to answer her but she spoke again.

"Is this the date?!" she asked, horrified.