Chapter 25 |Part 1|: Byegone

Buzz!

I turned in my sleep.

Buzz!

Phone. Where's my phone?

My hand traveled under the pillow, where I usually put it before I went to sleep. When I grabbed hold of it, I pulled it out. With my eyes half open, I tried to read the texts.

Alfie

Mass text, yo. If you have a car or van or whatever shit kind of wheels you own, you're invited to a beach party at Cali's Point today. Meet up at the Diner around noon. Spread the word.

Dude, where you at? It's 9am. Hope you're not dead.

I rubbed my face, forcing myself to wake up. Even tried to blink a few times but the moment I closed my eyes for the tiniest second, I was knocked out sleeping again.

Knock! Knock!

Hmm. Weird. No one ever knocked on my door before, not in the last few years.

Knock! Knock!

Who the hell could it be?

"Halo? Are you awake, honey?"

My eyes snapped wide open.

"Halo?"

Shit shit shit.

Halo sat up the same time I did. Her hair was in a tangled mess as she scrambled out of bed. She smoothened her hair and looked wildly around the room.

"Um, yeah?" she called out, giving me a what-now look. "Sorry, I just woke up!"

Her eyes then traveled down my body, and they widened. I frowned and looked down to see what made her react like that.

And what do you know? There's little Oz, standing at attention.

Awesome time to say hello to my innocent girlfriend, buddy.

Halo covered her eyes and turned her head away, making me smile smugly.

"Don't tell me you didn't feel this big boy earlier?" I teased in a hushed voice, swiftly getting off the bed.

"Couldn't be that big if I didn't feel it," countered my girl, sticking out her tongue at me.

I chuckled, picking my up jeans from the carpeted floor and putting them on in record time. I looked around the room. Now where did I put my shoes?

Oh, there they are.

"Maybe your furry pajamas got in the way," I whispered, walking to my Nikes.

"Hey, these pajamas and I come a long way."

"Whatever you say, dork."

I hopped on one foot as I tried to get my other foot inside my shoe. Needless to say, I ended up on the floor with a thud. Ouch.

"Is everything all right, dear?" asked Halo's grandmother.

"Yes," answered Halo quickly, helping me get on my feet. "I'm fine, Grams." Then, she added in a whisper to me, "Are you okay?"

"Super."

"Breakfast's ready," said Grams from the other side of the door.

I pulled my dark blue shirt over my head. Thank God guys didn't care too much about any fashion bullshit. Shirt, jeans, sneakers – and done.

"Okay, I'll come down in a bit," said Halo, staring at me with what seemed to be eyes filled with thrilled excitement.

I grinned as I picked up my letterman jacket, and walked to the window.

"Don't let the food get cold," added Grams.

"I won't," assured Halo, as she followed me.

"I'll pick you up in an hour?" I whispered, facing her.

She tilted her head curiously at me, looking a bit disheveled. She had twinkling purple eyes, her eyelashes almost touching her cheeks. Her nose was a little red, probably from the cold. She looked so fresh.

Sure, I get a kick outta seeing her all dressed up. But seeing her like this first thing in the morning welled up something in me.

I've never seen her cuter.

"We're going to Cali's Point at noon," I explained.

Her eyes widened. "Oh." Biting her lip, she looked away with a thoughtful expression for a second. "Can I bring my car instead?"

"Why?" I squinted my eyes, and added teasingly, "Do we need to have the air pollution talk again?"

She laughed and shook her head.

"It's just that – going on road trips like this is kinda our thing," she said sheepishly. "Brooklyn sits on the passenger seat while she and Milo argue over the music. But then I'll put on our favorite song and they'll stop and we'll sing our hearts out." She smiled wistfully.

I pouted, reaching out and placing my hands on her waist.

"It's normal girl stuff," she added, wiggling her eyebrows.

I let out a small laugh at her expression.

The fact that she valued her time with her friends was enough to make me give up on the idea of having her beside me for a couple of hours. If there was anyone who knew about the importance of loyalty, it was me.

Besides, it wasn't like I wouldn't see her at the beach.

"Alright, I'll let them have you," I sighed dramatically. "But the moment we get to the beach, you're mine again."

She nodded, pressing her lips together to stop herself from laughing.

"Deal."

"See you later then, dork," I smiled, pinching her nose. It became a habit of mine to do that, obviously.

She giggled, slapping my hand away.

"Go," she shooed me, pushing me away. "Before Pops catches you in here."

"I honestly don't think he'd be surprised," I said a-matter-of-factly, pulling her closer to me against the window. Then, I flashed her a smirk. "You are dating me, after all."

"Yeah, but he won't let me go to the beach if he knew you spent the night here."

Best night of my life.

"And this won't be the last time," I warned her.

She smiled, sending warmth through my body more than the sun ever could. But then that smile poofed the moment we heard another knock, followed by a deep voice.

"Halo, breakfast," grunted Coach Buckley.

I blinked. She blinked.

"Go!" she mouthed, waving me off.

I grinned at her panicked face.

"You're cute," I mouthed back.

She made expression between wanting to laugh and wanting to roll her eyes. With a chuckle, I let her go and finally climbed out of the window.

"Later, dork."

_____________

Yeah, I know. This is short. But I can't wait to update already! Besides, I'll update again tomorrow (that chapter will be looong).

I just wanted to show y'all their cute morning because when noon comes around... Well, I'll leave it to your imagination. ;)