23: A Normal, Happy Family

^ pun INTENDED 😏

---

They were just a happy family. Happy and Jessa's relationship returned back to normal. Meaning, constant arguing over stupid shit that always resulted in makeup sex. Happy was adjusting to the life of being a father. He loved Daxton more than anything else in the world. And even though he'd never truly admit it, he loved Jessa unconditionally.

---

"He's adorable, Jess," David says as he sat across from Jessa and Daxton in the diner. Jessa smiled at him. "Yeah, he is," She says, chuckling. "He's got Happy's eyes," Each time Happy was mentioned, David's eyes darkened, and Jessa pretended not to notice. She also pretended that she had no idea that his feelings for her had far from disappeared since high school. "So, how's your brother?" Jessa asks, making casual conversation with her old friend. David sighs. "He's fine. He was asking me about you the other day, actually," Jessa raises an eyebrow. "Oh? Why was he asking about me?" She questions.
David shrugs his shoulders. "You know how he is.
Nosey and all,"

---

Later that day, Jessa received the news of David's death from none other than Jacob Hale himself. She now sat in Jacob's office, and Daxton was with Happy. "You know, my baby brother loved you a lot," Jacob says to her as he leaned against the desk in front of her. Jessa sighs and looks down. "Yeah, I know. I strung him along for so long," She says. Jacob could clearly hear the sincerity in her voice, and he could tell that she was severely upset by his brother's death. "So, how's your son?" He asks her. "Daxton, right?" Jessa smiles at the mention of her son. "He's good," She says. "He's with his dad right now," Jacob nods. "Right. Happy Lowman. Are you two still together?" Jessa furrows her eyebrows, now questioning the older Hale's motives. "As a matter of fact, we are. Why?" Jacob smirked at her. "I remember back in high school, my brother was so smitten by you, but you had your eyes on somebody else," He says. Jessa, growing annoyed, stands up. "I'm leaving," She says, starting for the door. Jacob grabs her arm. "I do hope I haven't offended you in anyway, Miss Teller," he says, narcissism dripping on every word. Scoffing, Jessa rips her arm from his grasp and walks out of the office, mumbling "Fucking asshole," as she walked.

---

"Why the fuck would you go and see Jacob Hale?" Happy snaps at Jessa. They were now at home, and Daxton was asleep. "Because his brother just died. I wanted to offer my condolences," Jessa replied calmly. "But don't worry, I've realized what a mistake that was," She sat down on the couch with a sigh. "Why? Did something happen? Did he try something?" Happy questions, staring at her. Jessa shakes her head. "He started asking about you and Dax, and then he brought up the fact that I had a crush on him in high school," she explains. "He was being really fucking creepy,"

~The Next Day~

"Stay the hell away from my sister and nephew," Jax snarls at Jacob. After Jessa told him about what happened, Happy immediately told Jax, who, of course, was mad that Jessa hadn't told him herself. "We were just having a friendly conversation," Jacob says. "I apologize if she misinterpreted anything I said," Jax and Happy could both clearly hear the narcissism in his voice, but neither of them said anything. They both just gave him one last hard glare before they left his office.

_____________________________

Another shortie because I can't sleep!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
THANK YOU FOR READING EVERYBODY!
-Braidyn