Chapter 24

"Kayla." I hear my mom knock at the door.

"Yeah?" I sniff.

"Can I come in?" She asks.

"I'm packing." I sniff again. My dad was serious about me not coming back. My mom made him go stay with grandma when he told me I couldn't stay.

"Sweetie, you don't need to leave." She promises.

"I made a decision, mommy."

"Well, at least wait until you feel better." She sighs.

I think about it. "Fine." I nod.

I hear her walk down the hall and plop on my bed. My phone dings and it is a text from Chres.

From: Chres

Can we talk?

To: Chres

Yeah. I think we should. Starbucks by mine in 20?

From: Chres

Sure.

I lock my phone and stand up, wiping my face. I do my make up so no one will notice I've been crying and not sleeping.

Then I tell my mom I'm going to talk to Chres about something.

I arrive about three minutes late due to traffic, but Chres is there waiting for me by himself.

"Hey." He smiles sadly, holding a cup up for me. It was my favorite drink. "It's been a while."

"Five weeks." I nod. That's how long it's been since I've seen or spoken to him.

"I'm not getting another chance, am I?" He asks. When I'm silent, he nods sadly and continues. "I'd do the same if I were in your position. I just want you to know I'm really sorry and I love you. I miss you. Bella loves you and I hope this doesn't mean you're gonna stop being involved in her life."

Again I don't say anything, processing it all. "Just, text me when you've made your decision about Bella. We can make arrangements through my parents, your parents or text. You won't even have to have anything to do with me." He sighs, running a hand down his face. "I'm truly, deeply sorry, Kayla. And I love you so much."

He slides a locket across the table. "I got them for you and Bella, a mother-daughter set for her birthday. You can cut me out of the picture if you would like to. I just thought you should have it." He stands. "I love you, and I'm really sorry."

He walks out and I look at the back. 'C + M + I' was engraved on the back. It was the first letter of our real names. Chresanto, Makayla and Isabella. I open it up, smiling at the picture. It was the very first professional photo we had take together.

Do I really want to let this go? Chres hasn't hurt me like this before, and he is genuinely sorry. I can see it in his eyes that he regrets it. I wanna talk things out.

Quickly I jump from my seat and run to the parking lot, where Chres is just getting into his car.

"Wait!" I yell. He turns, revealing his tear stained face. He was crying.

I run over to him and hug his waist, the locket tightly in my hand. "I don't want to let us go."

"Me either." He wraps his arms tightly around me. "I'm so sorry."

"I know, and I forgive you." I tell him. It feels so good to be back in his arms again. I've missed him so, so much.

"I love you, Makayla." He tells me.

"I love you, Chresanto." I smile. And it's a real smile, for the first time in weeks.

"You wanna come home?" He asks.