Cupid's Assistant - Chapter Two

When we got home, Ashton was quick to start up the stairs, obviously trying to avoid conversation with me. It hurt to know he didn’t even want to be in my presence, but I ignored that feeling, wanting to be the bigger person and push through the tension.

“Wait, Ashton!” I called, my voice reverberating through the large house I’d lived in for more than eighteen years. I was glad we were the only ones home. I didn’t want either of our parents hearing our conversation. That would be the epitome of awkward.

He turned around to stare at me, fixing me with his deep brown gaze. “What?” he asked, a little sharply.

“Can we just… I don’t know… try to get along?” I asked, staring at him imploringly.

“You’re the one who asked me to give you space, Mia,” he reminded me, shrugging as if it didn’t matter. But it mattered so much to me. “And this is me giving you space.”

I sighed. “I know I did. But can’t we just try to be friends?”

He scoffed, cocking a fair eyebrow. “Mia, do you honestly think after everything I’ve said—everything I feel for you—I can honestly just pretend it’s okay and go back to being friends?”

I sighed. “Look, Ashton. I’m in the same position as you—”

He shook his head, making his blonde hair fall around his hair, tousling adorably. “No you’re not. Unlike me, you actually got a say in this.”

“Ashton, please don’t make this hard—”

“Mia, you’re the one making it hard. Things would be so much easier if you could just admit we should be together. I don’t see why we can’t. If you’re not ready for that, then I’m not ready for friendship. It’s a two-way street, Mia. You don’t call the shots. We both should. But this one’s up to you.”

“I don’t know what to do, Ashton,” I admitted, running a hand through my long hair. I loved him, and I felt a part of me always would. But we lived together with our parents, who were a couple! That complicated things ten-fold. How were we supposed to sneak around? Our parents were in love, and I had to make that sacrifice for them and let them be together.

But why was that so hard?

He sighed. “Well, then I guess that’s it, then, isn’t it, Mia?”

“Ashton—” I began, wanting to sort something out. I couldn’t let this conversation go unresolved. We need to work things out. Things couldn’t continue the way they had for the last three weeks, all glares and silence and cold shoulders. People would start to notice, and I wasn’t in the mood to tell people what was wrong with us.

“Just leave it, Mia. Let it go.”

Before I could open my mouth and talk, he stomped up the stairs and closed the door to his bedroom. I sighed and leaned against the banisters, letting out a deep breath I hadn’t been aware I was holding.