Question 20 - Part 1

****

"Ohhh this one's interesting, What's my favourite feature of yours?" 

"Well, I've got a great ass and a killer smile" 

****

"Well, I think we should go inside." I mumbled in a rush, collecting all of my fallen items with extra haste. As I pushed my hair back behind my ears, I glanced up at him. He was frozen in a peaceful sense, as his dark eyes pierced into me even in the depth of the night. I gulped and quickly got up, taking my things from him. 

"Thank you, for today. I had a lovely time." I muttered and ran up the stairs and into the house. Warner didn't follow me in, and I was glad. My birthday did not need any attention right now, especially amidst all the wedding planning. Plus, I didn't necessarily associate it with particularly positive things. When I rushed into the house, there were people in the dining room, already there. One person who caught my eye immediately was Brayden, who stood up and rushed over to me. 

"You seem flustered, are you alright? Where were you?" He rushed all these questions at me as I stood there, silently taking in his panicked face. I lifted a hand and stroked his cheek, out of pity, I think, though his grandmother cooed at this. He stopped fussing about me and really looked at me, a faint smile on his face and a glint in his eyes. 

"Let's go upstairs" I mumbled, and the proceeded upstairs. I looked back to see him following me, but I also noticed that Warner still hadn't come inside. As we neared our room, I entered the room first and Brayden closed the door behind me. I sat on the bed, contemplating on what to tell him. I had so many emotions clouding my brain that I felt speechless. 

"What's up?" he mumbled, as he crouched in front of my, cupping my face. 

"Tomorrow's my birthday and I really don't want anyone to know because it's not a day I really like but I thought I should tell you because you're my fake boyfriend and all." I came clean, still unsure of what this other knot in chest was as a result of. Brayden's eyes widened as he came to sit down beside me, his hands wrapping around my shoulder.

"Well, you're wishes are my command, Rory. Do not worry. Happy early Birthday, though," He mumbled, placing a kiss atop my head. I smiled at his sweetness and suddenly understood why I felt so low in that moment. It was Brayden. He was the sweetest guy to me but every time I was around him, I felt as though I was cheating, both him and his family and myself. This relationship made me feel so sick, especially every time I saw Warner. 

"Does anyone else know?" 

"Warner does, he accidentally found out because he saw my card." I admitted, and his grip around me loosened up a little. I looked at Brayden's face, the way his lips were now suddenly set in a line. 

"So were you with him this evening?" he asked, almost trying too hard to be nonchalant. I ignored it, though, seeing as Brayden had no reason to be uncomfortable, in my perspective. 

"Yeah, we took photos of me. His camera takes amazing shots and I wanted to cherish these views as I don't go out often." I admitted. Brayden smiled down at me, and for a moment, there was a silence, and though it was for less than a pause, it was very loud. I shifted away from him a bit and Brayden stood up abruptly. 

"Well, I'll go freshen up for dinner."

**

At around 11 pm, we all dispersed off to bed, and I trailed behind Brayden towards the bedroom. As he lay beside me and dozed off to sleep, I was wide awake, staring at the ceiling, wandering if the fact that I was turning 20 in a few hours would change anything in me. There was palpable tension between Brayden and I now, I was completely aware of it. Maybe it had something to do with me hanging out with Warner. I suppose that was it.