Question 14 - Part 2

PIC OF AURORA 

Brayden leant down beside his brother and I watched, my nerved tingling with anxiety. In a soothing voice he asked his hysterical brother what was wrong, Abigail holding her son, white with worry.

"Evan, what's wrong?" He asked again. Evan sobbed and looked up for a second, meeting my eyes, then Brayden's. His eyes sparkled like gems, the blue flooded with tears. He sniffled, and wiped his nose with his sleeve as though he was a little kid.

"I'm soo sorry" he moaned, though no one was still sure what he'd done. Brayden's eyes flickered to mine, wandering if I knew anything. I just shrugged. "Everyone went inside, but I didn't because I wanted to play with the bunnies. But then I needed a drink so I went to get one, but I kept the cage open and they're gone!" He admitted and just started crying again staring at the empty cage. There was an audible and collective sigh of relief throughout the crowd, and Brayden visibly relaxed.

"So you're crying about the lost rabbits?" I clarified, my chest feeling a lot less tense. He nodded, causing Brayden to quickly stand up beside him.

"That's why you're so sad?" Brayden asked impatiently, clearly annoyed at the overreaction. He crossed his arms over his chest, a stance that exuded his salty mood.

"Willa will kill me!" He cried, his voice holding such desperation, my nerves shook with worry. It was confusing to say the least, the scene laid out in front of me, but as I looked on, there was togetherness in the family, a perfect picture that I still wanted.

"Aurora" Brayden repeated, a hand on my shoulder subtly shaking me, snapping me out of my thoughts "Lost in your own world, I presume" he smirked, and shook his in amusement, the blue in his eyes glinting. "I'm going to go look for the rabbit," he enunciated that word and gave a pointed glare towards his brother. "And you can-" Beside him, Evan suddenly puked, and I cringed away.

"I told this boy to stop getting so crazy drunk, but he just won't listen, will he?" Abigail muttered, rushing to his side once again. The smell was putrid, like rotten eggs and milk.

"I'll come with you" I quickly suggested, desperate to rush away from the scene. I grabbed his arms and gently tugged, trying to hold in my own nauseous feelings.

**

Chilly breezes swooped past us as we walked casually down the dimly lit roads. Ahead of us, the lampposts stood, aligning the concrete pavement, the spilling dashes of orange. Other than that illumination, the night was a sea of dark blue, and I was glad Brayden was by my side. The quiet was almost eerie, like a horror movie waiting to happen. The trees, bushes and unlit houses all seemed menacing at this time of night.

Brayden had tucked his hands into his pockets and we just ambled along the street. At one point, we actually stopped looking for the rabbits, as it seemed like a rather stupid and impossible mission. So all we were doing now was walking, a few light conversation forming between us.

"So you've worked there for how long?"

"Almost 3 years now. I overtook a few of my father's branches." He explained, his eyes then finding mine. "And before you even wonder, yes, I did have to work to earn that position, I didn't just 'get it'" He added, but I felt offended, and quickly dismissed that.

"No! Why would I assume that? You seem too hardworking to be like that" I explained, puffs of fog emitting from my mouth as I spoke.

"Hardworking?" He stopped walking, turning so he was facing me, his hands still in his pockets. I also stopped beside him, leaning against a mailbox we'd halted in front off.