Question 15 - Part 2

In the middle of the night, I had a nightmare that was so vivid, I didn't go back to sleep. I couldn't go back to sleep. I eventually ended up laying there, feeling restless, and listening to Willa beside me, fast asleep and peaceful. I was jealous of her, somewhat wishing I knew how to fall asleep, but my mind was racing, so annoyingly alive. I huffed, feeling unable to let go of those horrid pictures in my head, and shimmied off the bed, needing a drink of water to quench my thirst.

I carefully opened to door, not wanting to awake anyone. My phone was in my hand as my flashlight, and I held it out, guiding me to the kitchen. My memory, though a bit shabby, eventually didn't fail me, and I was about to enter the kitchen, when I noticed someone already in there. Heart hammering, I peered in,  praying that it wasn't a murderer.

I always assume it's a murderer.

"Come on open!" I sighed when I heard Evan's distinct voice angrily muttering at something. Coming away from hiding, I walked into the room, still staying stealthy, and headed towards him, his back facing me. I waited until I was right by his shoulder and leaned close and ...

"Whattchya doing?" I whispered, and received a bloody shriek in response as Evan dropped all he was holding and whirled around, eyes as wide as saucers. I froze, my hands in the air, hoping not to be attacked. My posture was slightly cowered, almost frightened from the horrifying reaction. Internally, I was struggling to hold back a fit of laughter.

"It's just me" I hissed angrily, but Evan seemed offended, as he glowered at me as he went to pick up the jar of nutella that had rolled out of his hand and away.

"Well, I'm sorry, I should've known that it must've been you from the way you whispered in my ear in the middle of the night out of the blue!" he responded, the sarcasm clear in his voice. Even in the middle of the night, I could almost sense his frown digging holes into my skin. Ignoring his pettiness, I shoved past him and reached for a cup of water. Evan padded over and switched on the lights, and went back to his mission of opening a jar of nutella. Too many questions flooded my mind at once, and I wandered if I should even bother asking him what the hell was going on. He saw my quizzical look, the way my mouth was slightly open, halfway to asking a question.

"Can't sleep" he said in response, raising the jar of nutella. I nodded, not sure if his answer was supposed to reassure me or just confuse me further. I let it slide, brushing back a strand of my hair behind my ear. It was dead silent, the only sound being the cars driving past the house, somehwhere in the distance.

"Neither, I had a nightmare. Why can't you sleep?" He dug his spoon deep into the nutella and then brought out the covered spoon, licking away the nutella as though he were eating an ice cream. To my guilt, I ogled at his lips, the way her licked the chocolate off his lips. For a moment, my mind went back to that moment at the kissing booth.

" I slept enough while I was passed out, piss drunk" he chuckled, taking another massive lick. "I didn't embarrass myself too much, did I?" he muttered, glancing up at me with mockery.

"Other than the rabbit drama, you were fine" I laughed, causing him to raise his eyebrows. He'd dropped some nutella on his shirt, and hastily cleaned it up with his mouth, sucking on his own shirt. I scrunched up my nose. " So when's your aunt's wedding?" My mind flashig back to Willa's invitation. I asked as I washed up the cup I'd used, placing it back where I'd found it. The coolness of the night was starting to grip to my skin.

"6 weeks away. But we'll be leaving in about a week for prep and stuff. It's in a holiday resort up the north coast. We booked out the whole place" he told me, and although I didn't want to get my hopes up too high, listening to him describe the place gave me jitters of excitement. The idea of a holiday attracted me more than I cared to admit, becoming foreign to them over the years.