Character Brief

Name: Kiara Donoghue

First name meaning – 'dark'

Age:                          24 during season 1

Age: 24 during season 1

Same age as John

Four years younger than Thomas Shelby

Appearance: Katie McGrath

Dark hair from her father

Green eyes from her grandmother

Personality: Head strong, brave, a fighter, intelligent, little self respect or self worth, but she will stand up for herself and those she cares about. She has always felt a darkness inside her, something her mother saw in her eyes when she was born, hence the meaning of the name she was given.

She was abused by her father from a young age. Because of his affiliation with the Peaky Blinders she grew up around the Shleby's. She was the same age as John and they were best friends all through school. As they grew up, however, the more work John had to do for the business so the less time they spent together, but they were still close. She had always failed to see it, but John had forever been in love with her. He never said anything or did anything out of fear of rejection, but it was quite clear to everyone else. Her blindness to the fact stems from her low opinion of herself, something taught to her by her father's both physical and mental abusive. She was always quite good friends with Ada as well, especially when John became more busy with the Blinders.

Polly had always believed that Kiara would eventually become a Shelby, hoping she would marry John and because of this she always treated her like part of the family. No-one saw her romance with Thomas coming, least of all Kiara and Tommy themselves. They were never close and when she was a kid they never really paid much attention to each other. He was her brother's best friend and she was his brother's best friend, nothing more. Until one night when she was 16 and he was 20 when they were forced to finally see one another because of an unfortunate incident. A promise was made between them, one they would both forever keep. From that night they paid more attention, but that was all there was to it, just two family friends. Thomas felt like he had a duty to protect her due to his friendship with her brother, but that one night had made that feeling stronger and Kiara was in debt to him more than she had been anyone else. With the promise between them and silent recognitions of one another through nods and greeting and farewell smiles, a kind of silent friendship was formed... until she turned 18. Neither of them had been sitting back, waiting for her to come of age, it just sort of happened. His eyes were just opened one night and another promise was made.

Family:

Father