Chapter 49

H A R R Y

"So she just quit?" Niall asks and I sigh.

"For the third time, yes." I say, clearly annoyed.

"Is she allowed to do that?" He asks and I roll my eyes. I've already explained this concept to him multiple times and he just doesn't understand.

"Probably not." I say before standing up from sitting at the table with Niall. So far, he's helped me the most out of all of the boys. They are all quite mad at me for breaking up with Presley- almost as much as I am at myself- so they've refused to help me through this.

"You got yourself into this." I rememeber Zayn saying when I called him, late last night, crying because I miss her. "You have to get yourself out." He said after calling me a bunch of words I can't repeat. Not that I blame him, I am a terrible person.

"Where are you going?" Niall asks, right now, as I'm heading towards my room.

"To get her." I state simply. I am. I'm going to fly to Oregon and get her, maybe ask her to move back to L.A.

"Uh, no." Niall says, following me into my room. "Listen, I know we only have a few days here before we get back to touring, but you really, really, can't go get her."

"Why not?" I ask accusingly, turning towards him.

"Maybe you guys just need some space." He says and I know he's right. "You guys have always been pretty much hooked at the hip, maybe space is something both of you need."

I sigh and sit on my bed, running my hands though my hair before cradling my head in my hands.  He's right.

P R E S L E Y

I shove my head deeper into my pillow when I hear footsteps ascending the stairs. I'm really not in the mood to talk to anyone right now. I pull the comforter tighter around my body and try to drift back to sleep. That plan is ruined when my door bursts open and I hear Alana's voice, calling me many different swear words.

"How could you do this to me?" She asks, coming over to my bed and throwing off my covers. "You just left. Did you know that I don't have a job now because you quit?" She yells at me, and I sit up in my bed. "You can't just do that Presley! Do you ever think of anyone besides yourself?" She asks and I'm tempted to slap her. I stay silent as she yells at me, still calling me swear words. I don't stop her, knowing that this is how she is when she's mad. She's got the mouth of a sailor, but nobody would know that except me. And her mom on those occasions where she blew a gasket.

"Alana," I say quietly, but she continues to yell profanitys at me. "Alana, please." I say, tears brimming my eyes. She looks at me and guilt crosses her face. In two strides she is over to my bed, hugging me while I cry. "I'm sorry," I wail as she holds me. "I'm sorry." I keep repeating.

She continues to hug me, making me calm down before she climbs right into my bed next to me. She pulls the covers over both of us, before speaking up. "What happened, then?"

"I just really, really couldn't stay there." I say and she furrows her eyebrows. "It was too much to handle, and honestly, that's not what I want to do with my life, at all." I say.

"I know," She says. "It's about dang time you quit." She says honestly. "It hurt me to see you that way. You were so unhappy in that job, even though you covered it up well." She says.

"You knew?" I ask, wiping my nose on my sleeve.

"Of course I knew," She says."I'm your best friend, you don't think I wouldn't notice that my best friend was pretty much breaking at the seams?"

I stay quiet, unsure of what to say. I'm afraid I might start crying again. Alana has always been there for me, supporting whatever I was doing with my life. She was like my own personal cheerleader. When I told her my brilliant idea of continuing the videos on YouTube, she smiled and said. "Heck yes. Let's do it." And when I told her that I was accepting a job and that I had to move to L.A. she started crying. She told me that she was so proud of me, and that she knew I could do it. I guess I've always taken advantage of her friendship, never stopping to worry about her, and what she was doing with her life. I know that she probably had no desire to be my manager-at all - because she gave up going to Duke for it. When I asked her about it, she smiled and said that she was fine, as long as I was by her side. I knew that was a complete lie.

Alana is smart, like, super smart. She was going to college, majoring in Statistics. I'm not sure why she wanted to, but I knew that she had the brains for it. She always got better grade than me in school, and most of the time I would just copy her homework, because her answers were more accurate than mine.

I have no choice but to hug her again. It might seem weird that we hug so much, but we're best friends. I've known her for so long that it's not even weird. "So," I finally say, once I'm calmed down enough. "Tell me about you and Niall. How's that going?" I ask, even though the thought hurts me.

She grins and looks up  at the ceiling, her hair fanned out on the pillow. "It's going great, honestly." She says, a goofy grin on her face. "Gosh I love him Pres, I really do. He's perfect and he understands me." She says, before adding. "Almost as much as you, of course." I laugh and hit her shoulder, glad that I know she's always here for me.

**********************************************************************************

This chapter is short because the next one is longish (: