House Visits and Dogs

It's been a while since Gilbert has seen Matthew, and it's making him lonely. He's always alone in the house, his brother always out working. It's always been work for him. Maybe a little beer and conversation in the bar, but mostly just work. Sometimes Gilbert wishes that wasn't the case, so he'll have someone to talk to and not just some log that says "Not now, Gilbert."

But, well, it pays the bills.

The Prussian sighs and calls Matthew, the Canadian picking up after a few rings.

"Gilbert?"

The albino smiles, missing the sweet voice of his lover on the phone.

"I miss you lots."

A soft chuckle from Matthew can be heard from the other line.

"Me too. Was that all you wanted to say?"

"Come over, babe. I'm lonely."

"I'd love to come over, it's just that.."

Gilbert frowns.

"Are you busy?"

"No, but... I've never been there before.. Alfred knows how to get there, right?"

The Prussian sighs in relief. For a second there he thought he was going to spend the day alone.

"Kesese, of course he does. Now hurry up or I'll cry myself to sleep."

The Canadian smiles.

"You're being too dramatic, Gil. I'll be there ASAP."

"Danke, sweet cheeks. I love you."

"Love you too."

---

Five minutes pass and Gilbert hears the doorbell ring. That was fast, the albino thought. Matthew was either very enthusiastic about going to his place, or it also might've been that he was just that serious about ASAP. The Prussian favored the former.

Just seconds after the doorbell rang three yapping dogs came out of nowhere, rushing to the door and rubbing their heads on it as if it was their master's leg. Gilbert rolls his eyes and walks towards the door, trying to move Ludwig's pets out of the way.

"Uh...Hunden, Shoo!"

While commanding them didn't work, Gilbert somehow manages to make them back up a little for him to open the door.

"I love how enthu--"

He was grinning as he opened the door, but it quickly disappeared when he realized he was talking to someone... who is not his babe. At least not anymore.

"Hello, Gilbert."

Roderich stands on the other side of the doorstep, carrying a somewhat large box with some random stuff in it. He never looked like one to carry a box, Gilbert thought. The Austrian was just that weak in his eyes. The Prussian was usually the one who carried boxes when they were still a thing. The Austrian holding a box just looked so amusing to him.

"Ja, um.. What's that box for?"

"Just the things you left in your stay."

No wonder the things looked so familiar. He thought he already brought home everything. Apparently not.

"It was a nice house..."

"Hm. I always have nice houses."

"So, can I have that now?", Gilbert asks, reaching for the box.

"Wait."

Gilbert purses his lips, hands already on the box. It tempts him to snatch it away, but he didn't feel too mean today.

"What now, Roderich?"

He didn't want to put any endearment when mentioning his exes' names. Only when being cocky.

Roderich sighs.

"Maybe we can fix this."

"Fix what?"

"Us."

The Prussian shows the brunette a half-smile. He didn't want their interactions to be as awkward as right now.

"Well, we could be friends."

"No.. That's not what I meant."

His smile dropped.

The Austrian tilts his head down slightly, looking quite embarrassed.

"Maybe we could.. work this out again. I still have feelings for you, Gilbert."

"...Sorry, Roderich, but I don't. You've met Matthew," Gilbert audibly inhales, snatching the box away from Roderich. "I moved on."

"Gilbert--"

"Nein, sorry."

There was a complete and awkward silence until a certain sweet-smelling blonde approached the two of them.

"Er, hi..."

Although confused, the Canadian smiles politely at the two of them. Roderich sighs and leaves.

"Goodbye."

Gilbert raises his brows, watching the Austrian walk hastily down the street.

"..What was that about?," Matthew asks. He was curious.

"Nothing. Just the stuff I left 'in my stay'."

It was only then that Matthew notices the box Gilbert is carrying. He wonders why the Prussian looks upset, but it doesn't feel safe to ask. Gilbert didn't want to ruin the day, so he snaps out of it and smiles at the Canadian.

"Forget that. Come inside!"

Matthew sees the dogs.

"Ooh, you have dogs?"

(I AM SO SO R RY)