Chapter 24 : The Surprise

Jackie's POV

Winter came fast. I was lucky enough that my visa application to Canada was approved. Dad was also ecstatic about it since he was already itching to get a break from work with Mom. They were going to go backpacking for a week in Canada. Yeah. That's my Mom and Dad for you. My brother on the other hand, brought his fiancee along for the Christmas break as well. 

I couldn't ask for anything more. The first thing that I wanted to do as soon as I get to Canada is to hold Travis tight and give him a kiss. Yes. Since we've been together, I learned a couple of things on being a bit showy of my affections. I realized that Mom was practically from a much more liberal part of the world and Dad was actually raised in the same place as Mom was. Smooching wasn't really that bad as Mom would say but too much would be too vulgar. 

On the plane, I just kept on looking at my phone, browsing the gallery for our pictures together. I smiled at the memories that I could remember from the different times that we spent when he was in Cebu. I kept on laughing while looking at his funny poses. It was really surreal for me. Everything was going fast and it never felt wrong. Everything fell into the right places when it came to Travis. My family adored him (and I mean the whole clan) to bits and Mamita was already rooting for the wedding. Yeah. That early. 

Come to think of it, everyone has been telling me that it was best for me and Travis to tie the knot. I've considered it but I just had this feeling that I was way too young for marriage. I mean, sure, I can already picture a big house with picket fence around it; children playing at the backyard and a front porch with a swing where we can sit and watch the stars at night. The age issue is just too much. Travis hasn't even popped the question yet. 

Keeping my phone, I waited for the plane to land in Canada. It would take us about 14 hours to get there and if my calculations were right, we still had 8 more hours to go. Dad was already sleeping and so was Mom and my brother. My future sister-in-law was still reading a book. I took my pillow, placed it around my neck and started to sleep. 

-----------

"You're finally here! I can't believe it!" 

Auntie Angie's voice nearly took the whole arrival area by surprise. She couldn't care less about the stares that the people were giving her and some looks of disapproval for being boisterous. She hugged each one of us and particularly gave me the longest one. 

"Jackie! I am so happy to see you here, dear! I am so excited."

"About what?"

"Just you wait and see."

I just shook my head at my aunt's antics. She was like this when she was really that excited about something and that thought started to bother me a lot. What could Travis be planning now? And speaking of Travis, where was he?

I tried to look for him but he was nowhere to be found. My Mom approached me and placed a hand on my shoulder. 

"Are you okay?" she asked. 

"Yeah. I'm fine. It's just that..."

"He's not here," she finished for me. I just nodded and tried to hide the disappointment brought about by him not being here.

He couldn't even send a message that he can't come. But then...  he might be caught up in something that's really important.

Auntie Angie rounded us up and made us ride in SUV. She was talking to Mom while driving while I sulked at the seat behind my brothers' that he shared with his girlfriend. I kept on checking my phone but there wasn't any text nor call from Travis. Now I was starting to worry. 

A few minutes later, we arrived in a very chic-looking neighborhood where the houses were fronting the lake. It took my breath away and it seriously made me wonder if Auntie Angie moved to another house since she hasn't said anything about moving. 

"Auntie Angie, this isn't the way to your house, is it? I know where we are supposed to pass," Anthony questioned. 

"Well we need to make a stop first. I wanted to show you something."

 We stopped in front of a magnificent house that was fronting the lake. It had two floors. It had white picket fences surrounding it and a garage was at the side. I was struck in awe. It looked so familiar. I was trying to rack my brain for the answer of where I saw it. My parents got out of the car and so did my brother and his girlfriend. They were standing in awe as they looked at the house. 

As soon as I set foot on the first step of the stairs, the door opened and then it dawned on me that this was the design that I made a couple of months ago when Travis asked me to make a design of a house that I liked or wanted to live in, the one that he told me that his client wanted a point of view from a girl.

Oh my God!

The door opened at out came Travis with a bouquet of white roses. He was wearing a white buttoned shirt with some khaki shorts, looking so good that it hurts. 

"Welcome home, babe," was all that he said and my eyes watered with what he said. I dropped my backpack and rushed to his waiting arms. I tiptoed and kissed him in front of everyone that was there.

"Thank you for this," I whispered. 

"Anything for you."

I turned to look at my family and they were all grinning from ear to ear especially Auntie Angie who winked at me as I wrapped my free arm around Travis' waist. He was right. This was home for me and it's the best surprise that I have ever received.