Chapter 12 : The Changes

The next day, we were scheduled to go back to the city. We really didn't have anything planned ahead by Ninang Angie so we both decided to talk to my parents about making a mini studio in the backyard. I was really excited to get my hands dirty for this. He was also thrilled to be able to show me what he could do with his hands; he's a skilled carpenter after all. 

We got into the motorboat and headed towards the dock after we checked out of the resort. The feeling wasn't as weird as it was before we went to the island. Everything seemed at peace. Travis kept his distance but just enough for him to be able to hold my hand while we were seated together at the back of the motorboat. The wind blew softly against our sun-kissed skin. I took a deep breath and tried to calm the raging storm within me. 

As soon as we docked, we were met by my parents who were just waiting there patiently despite the scorching heat of the summer sun. My Mom approached us first, opening her arms to hug the both of us. 

"Hey Mom..." I just greeted. I was technically tired from the 15-minute of the motorboat. 

She held us at arms' length and looked at the way that our hands were linked. She got this happy vibe that she tried to hide but my Mom's the worst actress. It was really obvious how delighted she was that we were holding hands while walking. 

The four of us got into the car and headed out for the city. It was going to be a long drive and I could really use some sleep. Travis and I sat in the backseat quietly as Dad started to maneuver the car. It was a good thing that I had my sunglasses on. The sun was too much and the light from the sun was just too much to handle. Silently, I leaned my head against the window and started to doze off. I went to bed so late last night but I had to wake up early so that we won't miss the trip of the motorboats. Getting a later trip would mean longer waiting time for Mom and Dad. 

"Jackie, you can lean on me if you want," I heard someone whisper. Deep in slumber, I couldn't form any decent reply and continued to drift off. But then I felt a hand patiently pulling me towards Travis' direction. I felt like my head rested on something hard. The next thing I knew, my head was resting on someone's shoulder, his heated skin mingling with mine. It didn't bother me at all. In fact, I enjoyed the feeling of it. 

------------------------

An hour and a half later, I felt someone shaking me. The car was already parked and I can hear honking everywhere. 

"Babe, wake up. We need to get some food for lunch."

"Huh?" I tried to bury my face more in the crook of his neck. "5 more minutes.."

"Your parents are already waiting for us there...Come on you got to get up."

I was really feeling bad but then I forced myself to wake up. I fixed myself and checked whether I drooled or not but the way that his shirt looked clean, I was in the clear. We both got out of the car and followed my parents inside the fast food where Travis and I stopped a couple of days ago when we were on our way to Argao. He held my hand firmly and I followed him silently, practically dragging my feet. 

As I got to our table where Mom was waiting, she asked Travis to help dad out with the trays for the orders. 

"So, anong nangyari sa inyo sa Sumilon? Was he nice? What? Deets please, dear."

Seriously Mom was acting like a teenager with this kilig factor written all over her face. Seryoso Mama?

"He was kind and nice and a complete gentleman."

Pero iba yung nababasa ko sa mukha ng Mom ko. Parang nag-e-expect siya na may ibang nangyari sa amin sa Sumilon. Wala namang nangyari maliban sa "first kiss"  ko. I rolled my eyes and told her about what happened. 

"What? Oh honey, I am so happy for you. He is a great catch." I didn't know how to respond to that. 

Minutes later, Dad and Travis were carrying trays of our foods. We were having this chicken bucket meal for the four of us and we started to eat with Travis and Dad talking about the project that Travis and I had in mind. Mom was just all ears to everything that Travis was saying and I got busy eating chicken. I just felt him put a hand on my knee and I looked at him with a smile. 

I was happy and there was no denying it. The way that Travis was with me in the last couple of days was truly a revelation for me. He was caring and sensitive to what I needed and felt. I never had this kind of feeling with my ex which made me think how he was so different from this guy sitting beside me, inked skin and all. 

From the looks of it, my parents didn't have any qualms about him being my beau. Dad was giving me glances for some time as they chatted letting me know that he liked Travis and he has truly earned his trust. Mom was just over the moon that I was somewhat in a relationship. 

After lunch, we all got back in the car and started the drive back to the city. I got my place beside him again and he didn't mind with me resting my head on his shoulder again and drift into a peaceful slumber as we headed home.