Chapter 1: Meet and Greet

I woke up feeling a little bit disoriented. The lights in my room were turned on and I was sure that I turned them off before I went to bed. What time is it anyway? The light from the sun was already trying to seep through the curtains. Checking the time on the clock on my bedside table, it read 9:30. It wasn't that early for breakfast but I had to get up because my stomach was already making noises.

I hurriedly changed from my pj's to a more comfortable short pants and a t-shirt with some flipflops. I was just going to stay at home today and it felt good to know that I was finally on vacation and that I can start to work on my paintings that was going to be showcased two months later. Going to the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of my Mom walking my way.

"It seems that you really slept again after you talked with your godmother," she said as she took a seat on the stool right in front of me.

So it wasn't a dream. I woke up at four in the morning just to talk to my godmother about being a tourist guide. Knowing that she was somehow my accomplice, my Mom smiled at me as if she was trying to hide something that was already obvious. I rolled my eyes and continued to prepare my cereal and milk. I ignored her and walked towards the dining area. Taking a seat, I pretended to be oblivious of my Mom's presence when she took the seat opposite me.

"Oh come on, you can't continue to ignore your Mom!" she blurted out. My eyes never tried to meet hers even if she was already trying to peep at me. I just heaved a sigh and continued to eat. "Jackie, come on! Have some fun, will you? I miss the old Jackie!"

"Fun, Mom?" I asked without having to spare her a glance. "You know how I'm going to react and still you managed to connive with Ninang Angie for this and I don't even get to say NO on the matter," I picked my spoon full of cereal. "Oh and you really picked a great time to inform me about it. Making her call me at the crack of dawn was really good since you know that I'd say yes because she won't stop pestering me about it!"

Finishing my breakfast, I went back to the kitchen to wash my bowl. She followed me there and leaned against the counter as she watched me doing my chore not caring about her presence. I know it was wrong to ignore her and I know that it was wrong to raise her voice at her. But seriously? Who would want to be in this kind of situation. I wasn't a love-starved teenager desperate to be with another guy after a break up. I didn't need that. I was just happy to be me. And as the PCD would say it, "I don't need a man to make me feel good."

But my Mom doesn't get that. I thought she's already had it with me and relationships when she saw me break down after the first break up. She totally freaked out when she found that I wasn't going to go on dates anymore. I get it. She wanted me to experience what she had growing up in the US. Sad to say, I willingly went on a hiatus whether she liked it or not.

Putting the dish on the dryer, I got the towel and wiped my hands dry. Reaching for the cupboard, she just continued to look at me. Moving to the next cupboard where the cups were, she tapped her fingers on the tiles.

"Look, Jackie...all I'm saying is that there's no reason to just give up on it. I knew your ex hurt you a lot but whatever he told you isn't the reason why you don't go looking for a boyfriend. And when you broke up, you lost the happy vibe that you once had." Her voice sounded worried.

"Mom, once again, I'm telling you that I'm 19 and I'm not nearing menopause yet. If you're eager to get grandchildren, go and bug Daniel about it, not me." The scowl was something that was going to stick to my face the whole day today.

She took a few steps to where I stood and enveloped me in her hug. My Mom knew what was bothering me and she's been trying in the last two years to help me loosen up and I knew that she was trying to help me see the better side of myself. I held myself tight against her.