Chapter 3 : The Drive

Whatever that happened yesterday did happen. I went to the airport to pick him up and had a sort of conversation with him before going to bed. The dress that he gave me is hanging on the handles of the closet right in front of me. It was really pretty. I think it was something that I can wear when I decide to go for a short walk by the shore when I'm there.

And it hit me. I promised myself that I was going to give him something in return while we were there but the problem was I just didn't know what. I stayed in bed trying to debate what it was that i was going to give him. Should I paint for him or should I cook for him? Should I just sing for him or play something with a guitar for him? Wait. Why am I so worked up about this? He's just staying for three weeks and there was no need to impress him. But he went out of his way to get you a pretty dress and an anklet that he made himself. Aren't you going to give him something? Think Jackie, think!

There was no use of debating when I know that I won't be able to think of anything. I got up and took a shower and then decided to put on some comfortable shorts and shirt. It was quite going to be a long drive and I didn't want to be uncomfortable while driving. I checked on my bag and made sure that I didn't bring too much since we were only staying there for three days and two nights. Grabbing a small canvass, and my box  full of painting stuff, I rushed outside to dump it all in the trunk of my car.

Rushing into the garage, I placed my bags on the back of the truck and then headed into the kitchen. I heard something simmering and the pans clanging. My Mom was already awake and there she was planting some of the bacon strips. She noticed me coming in and smiled at me.

"Slept well?" she asked. The plate that she was holding was already full of bacon strips and she set it in front of me as I sat on one of the stools.

"Yup and don't mind me digging into breakfast ahead of everyone else. I need to gear up for the long drive." I got some clean plate and some slices of bread and of course the bacon that was right there in front of me. "Which reminds me, where are your bags? I need to load them up."

My Mom gave me a sly smile and refused to look at me. She was definitely hiding something behind her sleeves and it tells me that I am going to go berserk over it. And I already think I know where this is going.

"Oh no... Don't tell me that it will be only the two of us going for a drive Mom!"

"We'll follow you guys tomorrow. Apparently your Dad has this important meeting that he needs to attend to and it'll be a long one. So you and Travis go ahead. I've already called Mamita to prepare everything for you when you get there. "

Suddenly the appetite that I had for breakfast vanished into thin air. I didn't want to be stuck in traffic with a guy that I just met let alone never had a decent conversation with other than the brief exchange of thank you's and you're welcome's last night. I can't believe my Mom was dropping this on me.

I pushed my plate away and got down from the stool and headed straight to my Dad's office. I didn't even care to look at my mother when she asked me where I was going. She already had an idea where.

I knocked on the door thrice before going in. I never forget my manners when it comes to facing my Dad since he was the only one who listened to my logical explanation of things on how come I never dated. I heard a gruff "come in" from the other side and opened the door to his office.

This room was really sleek and modern. There were bookcases that stood from the floor to the ceiling and a number of shelves lined in every corner. My Dad was a fan of the minimalist movement and boy did he value good storage space.

Apparently he was on the phone and when he looked up at me, he wore a very apologetic smile. I bet he already knew that I already heard about the sad news of him not going with me. He was going to set the pace that Mom had planned out for me. I didn't want to rush into things like falling for the guy that I barely knew just because Mom told me that he was ridiculously nice. That wasn't enough for me. He finished his talk on the phone and took a seat on his chair and took a deep breath before talking to me.