Chapter 15: When I Woo a Girl the Filipino Way

Travis' POV

There was no doubt that I felt something for Jackie. She was very kind, simple, down to earth and of course, beautiful beyond words. She didn't wear much make up which I like and she didn't pay attention too much on vanity. I appreciated the way that she valued the smallest of things that people give her. 

Like the time that we went to the beach house. Her grandmother doted on her a lot as well as her older cousins. They gave her a lot of trinkets for being one of the top students in her college. She just smiled at them sweetly and each gave them a hug and a kiss. I wanted to be kissed by her and I got what I wanted. 

When she told me that she was willing to give us a chance, she was reluctant especially when she met with her ex a couple of days ago. I wanted to crush that man's face. He made Jackie believe that she was worthless. But she is a gem. A diamond in the rough.

As I continued to build her studio, I made sure that everything was going according to my plan. The windows were now wiped, the walls were sanded and stained and the furnishings were according to her taste. We were almost done so I told the three guys that were working with me to stop and take a break first. I asked Jackie to have some pizza delivered. 

We sat down in the studio and tried to fan ourselves as we waited for the pizza to arrive. Half an hour later, Jackie already brought the boxes in the studio. I gave one box to her so that she could share it with the housekeepers and her mother in the house and the guys and I devoured the two boxes. 

I was full and so were the guys but I decided to have a longer break since we were about to be finished with the studio anyway. The guys stretched out their limbs and started to throw questions at me. 

"Sir Travis, aren't you going to make a move on Ms. Jackie?" Juan asked. 

"Well, I did and it seems that she still needs a lot of convincing." I held my cup near my mouth and took a sip of the cola that quenched my thirst the whole afternoon. 

"Why don't you make some ligaw  moves on her sir? Filipinas like to be courted" Juan answered.

They exchanged nods and then they looked at me. Ligaw? What does it even mean anyway. In my country, I didn't have to court the girl since she was basically doing everything to woo me. This time, I had to work hard to get her approval. I was just lucky enough that her parents were rooting for me. 

"What does that word mean?" I asked them. 

"Well," Teddy, the oldest among us answered, "It's how we woo the girls to get their matamis na "oo". It's how we make the girl see that we are deserving of their love as well." 

"I see."

"Can you sing Travis?" Rudy, Teddy's son asked. "It would be fun to sing for her. In the Philippines we call it harana."

Sing? Seriously? I can't even dance well and here goes Rudy asking me if I can sing. Well, I can carry a tune or two.

"We'll help you Sir Travis! We are really experienced with this kind of thing. Jackie has been like a sister to us and we think that you'd do well for her" Teddy said as he handed Rudy his empty cup. 

"What do you have in mind?" I asked Rudy.

"Here's what you need to do..."

-------------------------

The stage was set. I was nervous but my three friends were more than happy to bring the guitar along and even decided to buy some Barong Tagalog. I had to rush to the department store with them to buy some decent black pants. 

Teddy was a great guitar player. I just had one English song in mind and made him listen to it. He was able to play it a couple of minutes later. Was I really going to do this? I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of everybody else. But my supporters were going all out on how well I could sing so I might as well give it a shot.

We positioned ourselves just right under Jackie's room and the sun was about to set. I haven't seen her much today because she fell ill in the morning with a slight fever. She stayed in her room and slept the whole day. I just hope that our noise while working on the studio didn't wake her. 

Teddy started to pluck the guitar strings and the intro started to play. I was a mass of nerves yet I had to try this out. She might find it romantic. I took a deep breath and started to sing. 

"Though I've tried before to tell her

Of the feelings I have for her in my heart

Every time that I come near her

I just lose my nerve

As I've done from the start

Every little thing she does is magic

Everything she do just turns me on

Even though my life before was tragic

Now I know my love for her goes on "

The window to her room opened and she looked down on us with a question written on her face but then when she noticed what we were wearing, what Teddy, Juan and Rudy were doing and what I was plainly doing, she blushed crimson.

Her mother and father were just in front of us as well as her brother who was taking a video of my performance. Her father was singing to her mother as he held her closely in front of him swaying to the rhythm of the music. 

We ended the song and her parents applauded our performance and I heard some sound of clapping coming from her. She smiled at me and gestured for me to wait for her downstairs. I thanked the men who helped me and they started to leave as they were invited to have dinner with the family inside. I got other plans for dinner and it involved with me spending time with the girl  who stole my heart. 

She now stood in front of me in her yoga pants, a shirt covered with a hoodie and her hair in a messy bun. I hugged her and kissed the side of her neck. 

"So what do you think of my little show for you?"

"It was nice and sweet. I didn't know you could sing."

"Hey I can try to do anything for you." I held her hand and dragged her inside her studio for a dinner that I personally prepared.