Chapter 13 : Building Bridges

After getting home, we didn't do much. I practically crashed in my bedroom, getting more sleep and Travis did the same but before retiring to our rooms, he pulled me in for a quick kiss in front of my door. I was stunned and I just wished that my parents didn't witness that.

The next day, Travis and I got into working the design of the mini studio that he wanted to build for me. He made the design which resembled something like a barn. I've mentioned to him while we were talking that I always wanted to go and visit a barn. This meant that we have to go shopping for a lot of wood. I knew that it was going to be costly and luckily I got some money saved.

The barn-like studio totally blew me away. It was quaint in every sense and me looking at it just made my heart swell with a lot of happiness. For the first time, I felt like I wasn't the only one making an effort to make something work. Travis was more than willing to show me what he could do to make me so happy with a smile from ear to ear.

It was all made of wood and it fascinated me. Contrary to the typical barns, mine had this big windows on one side to illuminate the space during the day. He'll be using energy-efficient lights inside so that when I decide to work in the evenings, the lighting would be good and it's not too costly. He's got everything planned. We even showed it to Dad and he was impressed and even offered to call the builders to help Travis get started right away.

Masyadong obvious si Dad na botong-boto siya kay Travis.

--------------------

As the days progressed, my mini studio is now taking shape. I was thrilled and ecstatic. Ang kulang na lang siguro magtatalon-talon ako sa tuwa. It's like Christmas all over again. Mom was just looking at the sidelines and Dad did, too. I worked with Travis most of the time, sanding or nailing something. It was just fun. Most of the time, people just worked in the morning and in the afternoon since we didn't want to offend the neighbors with the noise. After four days, the barn was already ready for painting. I was excited since this was my forte or at least that's what I think.

"So what colors do you have in mind?" tanong niya sa akin while I was driving us to the hardware shop.

"Hmm... I was thinking of painting the sides wide, the edgings and the roof a shade of ocean blue. Kinda like the houses in Santorini."

He nodded in approval. We rode silently until he popped the next statement that caught me by surprise.

"I don't want to leave yet."

"You still got next week, right? I mean we have ten days together left."

"But we aren't even you know, there yet."

I got what he was saying and it was looming thought that I didn't want to think of this time. Did I want him to go? No.

Did I feel something for him more than a friendly-kind of affection? Yes. Definitely a yes.

But then there was no doubt that I was still afraid of risking it all. I want to be sure that he was the one meant for me and that this wasn't just a summer fling that would leave me thinking a lot of what if's and maybes.

"Let's cross the bridge when we get there, Trav."

We both fell silent. I didn't want to think of what's going to happen once he leaves. I will miss him for sure. He was able to fill the whole in my heart quicker than I thought. He was more than I expected. He wasn't the kind of guy that I envisioned him to be. He was gentle, sensitive and very open to everything happening around him without giving a lot of fuss.

The hardware came into view and I made a right turn towards the parking lot. As soon as the engine stopped, he got the latch of the seat belt off and pulled me close to kiss me squarely and chastely on the lips. I was surprised. I just closed my eyes and kissed him back with the little know-how that I had.

"I'm never going to let you go, Jackie. I've fallen for you the moment I laid eyes on you. This isn't just a fling. I swear..." he whispered.

His answer gave me the feeling that I should believe in him. I should trust him. So to answer his skeptical look, I nodded. "I feel the same way." Then he gave me his heart-warming smile.

We got out of the car and he held my hand tightly his. Everything felt right in place. He was making me happy and I was making him happy in return. As we stepped inside the store, there was some kind of feeling lurking around and it wasn't good. The shop wasn't really filled with people when we walked towards where the paints were. There were tons to choose from and once I got my first tin of paint, I heard someone call out my name.

"Jackie?" I know that voice. It's the voice that made me feel worthless years ago. Travis jerked his head up to see who it was. I looked at him with no feelings of anything. I knew that someone was going to defend me.

"I can't believe that it's you" dagdag pa niya. "I didn't think I'd see you again. At meron ka pang sidekick ha... Meron pa palang papatol sa'yo." The nerve of this creep.

"Arnold, kung pwede sana huwag ka nang manggulo."

"Who is this guy?" Travis asked, looking puzzled.

"I was the guy who had her first. And you are?" tanong ni Arnold. Feeling ko sa isang suntok lang ni Travis, sigurong malayo na ang maabot niya.

"The guy who manages to put the pieces together."

Napatigil sa kangingiti ang asungot na ex ko. Hindi siguro niya maatim na mayroon pang magkakagusto sa akin.

"Oh... I see. After a local boy couldn't seem to satisfy you, you go running to some foreign guy. Cheap move to make me jealous" Arnold spat. He was definitely hurt that I found someone much better than him.

"We were over two years ago, Arnold and I am so over you. So could you please back off."

"You heard her, bud. Go." Travis added.

Arnold backed off and left us. I let out a deep breath that I didn't know I was holding. Travis immediately gathered me in his arms and I felt protected. I knew for a fact that there was no way Arnold going to hurt me. In the last two years after we broke up, he tried to inflict pain on me in whichever way possible.

"I'm so sorry," I buried my face in his chest and cried my heart out in public because of what happened. My hands tightened around his waist and his hold on me tightened as well. He cradled my head and wrapped an arm around my waist.

"You shouldn't be. I'm here."

I just nodded and held him tight and for the first time in my life, I was thankful that Travis was here.