moved on

•luke•

when calum and i walked back into the living room, he immediately took a seat on the couch with his head in his hands and elbows on his knees.

"i never knew," he sighed. i looked at him not really sure what to say but he kept talking. "i spent so much time wondering what on earth i did wrong to make her just break up with me out of the blue when all this time, i never did anything. it was all mali."

"cal, it wasn't just mali's fault. she had good reason not to believe lia and what she did was probably just because she wanted to protect you," i explained. i could tell from talking with lia that she understood why mali did what she did and she was okay with it.

calum didn't say much after that. i knew it was a little weird between the two of us. i was dating his ex-girlfriend for god's sake.

eventually lia and mali, came out of the kitchen both with teary eyes and smiles. lia smiled at me before going over to calum.

she kneeled down in front of him and told him that they better talk. he nodded but didn't say anything as he got up. he motioned for her to follow her and led her out onto the patio.

i knew that it was probably private but i couldn't help but listen to them even though mali was giving me a look telling me to respect their privacy. but she was listening to them too.

"how are you?" lia asked carefully.

"why did you never tell me?" he bit back.

"never tell you what?" she asked trying to be careful.

"all of it. your dad, the drugs, the party, mali. why did you never tell me?" he sighed.

"i never told you about my dad because i was scared of what he would do to me if i told someone. i never told you about the drugs because the reason i did them was because of my dad. i never told you about the party because i don't even remember what happened. and i never told you about what happened with mali because she didn't want me to," lia explained.

"she had no right to do that," calum said, his voice laced with anger.

"don't be mad at your sister, calum. everything she did was to protect you. she didn't want me to break up with you by saying that i supposedly cheated on you. when mali told me to stay away from you, she was hurt and felt betrayed. and leaving you, was the hardest thing I've ever done," she explained.

"i think i still love you," calum whispered. i tried not to be angry at his words because i knew that he had her first and they had a lot of history. but it still made me mad.

"cal," she sighed. "you were my first love and i think part of me will always love you."

her words broke my heart. i loved her and even though she never said the words, i just always assumed that she felt the same way. but i guess i was wrong.

what really broke me was when he leaned in to kiss her. but what surprised me was that she leaned away before he even got close.

"cal," she sighed. "i'm sorry, but i've moved on. i love you, but i just love luke a little more."

my eyes widened at her words. glancing at mali, she had the same expression. neither of us were expecting her to say that.

i looked back at them to see lia had pulled calum into a hug. he had a hurt expression on his face.

"calum, i hope someday you find someone that will make you ten times as happy as i ever did," she said before leaving him and walking inside again with calum following.

lia walked straight over to me and gave me a hug.

"thank you," she whispered into my chest.

"i think we'll head home," mali said. "but make sure to come by and say goodbye before you guys leave."

and within seconds they were out the door leaving lia and i alone.