ROUND 2: MAGAZINE BOY LOST TO CAPITALISM.

Nellie sat in the lobby of her apartment building

Nellie sat in the lobby of her apartment building. She did this on occasion when the words she wanted to say struggled to flow through the tips of her fingers and onto paper. So now she sat on a couch with a journal balanced on her knees and her phone on the couch next to her. She scribbled down everything that slipped into the cracks of her mind, the girl simply trying to word her arguments correctly. She dropped her pencil as she rubbed her hands, her knuckles feeling cramped and in pain as she had spent the last three hours on the couch doing the same thing. Now she was getting bored, the idea of writing one more sentence making her eyes burn. Nellie leaned her head over the edge of the couch looking at the man behind the desk as he typed away on his computer.

"Jonathan," she said. The man glanced up at her, not seeming interested in any conversation with the girl as she started to initiate it. He ignored her as she said his name again, the girl frowning to herself as she picked up her journal and her phone. Instead of walking away like he expected her to, she walked right up to the desk and leaned over it. The man let out a sigh as she smiled at him and tapped her fingers on his desktop. "Jonathan," Nellie whispered again.

"Yes, Nellie?" He sighed, caving in to her actions as she placed her chin the palm of her hands.

"I know you don't like me, but I want you to know I think you're a swell guy." She said, her fingers touching little trinkets that littered his desk. He frowned at her as she spoke, the man now feeling guilty that she believed what she did. Truthfully, Nellie didn't care he didn't like her. She wasn't out for the company of a grumpy old man who didn't like her for all the noise complaints she had filed against her. The complaints were always filed against her for the same reason: her music being played too loud. She couldn't help it exactly. It helped her focus on nights where she wanted to work, and it had only been so loud recently due to the fact her headphones were broken.

"What makes you think I hate you?" He said. Nellie only smiled at this, laying her head on the counter as the man sighed again.

"Oh, I don't know. It's more of just an odd thought—that and you don't acknowledge me unless I'm standing right in front of you." Nellie said, the man giving her an uncomfortable glance as the elevator doors opened. Nellie looked over at this, the girl's head perking up at the sight of the tall boy who had asked her for Band-Aids the night before. "Pretty boy!" She said loudly, a smile taking over her features as she saw him. He only glanced at her as he walked towards the doors of the building. "Getting more Band-Aids?" She asked.

"Well, I'm all out of SpongeBob ones, so," he mumbled. Nellie looked down at his knuckles where his Band-Aids from before had been bleed through. She took in a breath, picking up her coat from the couch she had left it on before she put it on. Luke watched her as she did this, the girl picking up her journal and pulling her hair out of the back of her jacket. He furrowed his eyebrows at her as she smiled and gestured for him to walk out.

"Sorry, Jonathan, I have to go. My friend, pretty boy, and I have to go get Band-Aids." Nellie said, Johnathan not bothering to look up from his computer screen as she said it to him.