Thirty Nine

{A/N: So, I realized I never said what Cici looks like, so here's a picture of me in my costume from when I did H.M.S. Pinafore in the media center. I'm in the peach skirt and white shirt (otherwise known as the Latina). Cici and I basically look the same except she's pretty and I'm not. xxAv}

*Jon's P.O.V*

"And you're sure that there's no jury?" Cici asked nervously, fiddling with the hem of her dress. It was a tendency of hers to do so when she was worried. I always thought it was cute.
"Estoy segura. Not in family law cases." Vanessa responded, reaching into the backseat to take her hand quickly.
"Don't worry, hija. Please. The judge rules in favor of whichever family can offer you more. With us you have three parents who get lots of money. You'll be okay."
"Will this be over in one day?" Cici said.
"Probably not, amorcita, but we're gonna hope for one day. I don't wanna come back." Lin sighed.
"Okay. Okay, good. And the lawyers are allowed to speak up?"
"Yes, honey. Take a deep breath. You're making me anxious." I said. Cici took a few breaths. Vanessa stopped the car in front of the court.
"Ready?" I asked.
~~~
"This session will now come to order. The court had been called to settle the case of legal custody of Cecilia Louisa Rodriguez."
The judge butchered her name. Even I could pronounce it well, and I was nowhere near Latino. Lou-e-za. He pronounced, not even bothering to try the s. Rud-ri-guess.
"The current arrangement consists of Miss Rodriguez-" Rud-ri-guess "-living with Mister and Mrs. Lin-Manuel Miranda, and with Mister Jonathan Groff. Her paternal aunt, Daniella Laura Rodriguez-Fiore has issued claim over her as her only living relative in the United States."
"Your honor, if you would allow me to start." The lawyer said. He stood up and began trying to convince the judge why Cici's aunt should take her away.
He made many arguments, and they could arguably be good reasons. Our lawyer fought back better.
"Why did Mrs. Fiore never issue claim before now. Why not when Mister and Mrs. Rodriguez died? Why not when Miss Rodriguez, her older sister committed suicide? Why not when she was bounced from home to home?" Our lawyer argued.
"She was never in a good place financially until now." The other fought, making up reasons that the judge couldn't believe. The judge wrote the options down. A big, official pro and con list, for sure.
We got out at six, the day was almost over. Tomorrow we'd come back to find out what the judge decided.
Stepping out into the sunlight, we heard Cici let out a breath of relief.
"Hi." Gabe said, smiling at all of us, wrapping his arms around Cici as she flung herself into them, sobbing.
Today was hard for her emotionally. She's been so stressed." Lin said to Gabe as we all walked towards the car, whispering as to not set a Cici off more.
Gabe hummed to her when we got in the car, staying as close to her as the seat belt would allow. "It's gonna be okay. I promise it'll be okay."
"It's been such a long day." Cici cried. "I just want to sleep."
We arrived Lin's, and Cici went straight to her room, Gabe following. After half an hour he came out.
"She's really asleep. I'm going home, I want to stay with her, but it's one of the few night's my dad is home and now with his girlfriend-"
Gabe said this word with bitterness before continuing. "And I wanted to spend some time with him. I'm sorry, I hope you understand."
"We get it." Vanessa said, waving her hand. "Good night, Gabe."
We all walked to Cici's room. She was still in her dress, clutching the blankets like she needed them to survive. Vanessa got in the bed next to her, cradling Cici into her chest. Lin and I followed, Lin behind Vanessa and me on Ceci's other side.
"It's gonna be okay." I whispered, hoping to dear God that it was true.

{A/N: So, you can probably tell that I have no idea what happens in an adoption court, my dad is an immigration attorney, so I just worked with what I knew from Drop Dead Diva and whatever the hell I watch. I'm sorry updates have been so scarce, I've been really nervous and overwhelmed. I love you all so much. xxAv}