Chapter 2: Oklahoma Here I Come

Spike was sitting in an airplane seat… dead asleep. Some turbulence makes his eyes blink and then he looks out window and sees the sunrise coming up and is starting to smoke. He feels as if he was going to be the Southern Barbeque special.

“Ah, shoot the ring… where’s that bloody ring?!” he exclaimed in quiet distress.

The young flight attendant heard him a decided to investigate. “Are you alright sir, do you need some water or other beverages?” she asked hesitantly.

He started to brush off the light smoke from underneath his duster when he felt a light hand on his shoulder.  It was a lovely, ample and tender flight attendant. He hadn’t eaten before the flight so he decided to work his charm.

“Actually luv… I’m parched. What would you recommend?”

She leaned down so they were face to face. “I’m actually new but if you would join me behind the curtain I’m sure we could find something to quench your thirst.”

She was so innocent about it but she had no idea what kind of trouble she was asking for. Once they get behind the curtain, she turns her back towards him to open the cabinet.

“See anything you like?” She flips her hair to her left and it slides over her shoulder. Then he lightly grabs side of her head and leans her against his chest.

“Oh yeah, I think I found it.” He vamps out and bites her softly but she starts to moan. So he distracts her by playing with her lovely legs.

The plane speakers make the announcement tone and Spike hears “Flight from L.A. to Oklahoma City is just about to land, please grab all luggage and belongings once the plane has completely landed, thank you and have a great day.”

Spike releases her slowly, licking her neck to close the bite mark. He de-vamps so she doesn’t see his face. He turns her around then grabs the scarf from her wrist and wraps it lightly around her neck.

“Thanks for the drink luv… it’s just what I needed.”

Spike stepped out on the terminal floor and went down the escalator to get to baggage claim.

Spike kept looking at Embers picture to make sure he would know her when he saw her. Although, he truly just had to wait for that tingle up his spine he always got when a slayer was present.

He grabbed his douflebag and just stood there watching the crowds walk by, it had only been 20 minutes since the flight. Maybe she was running late, maybe stuck in traffic or she took one look and ran. He finally got his target in sight; she and he gazed at each other from afar.

She walked towards him with a calm smile on her face, when she really felt like she was walking on hot coals. They finally where in front of each other when she said, “Hi. You must be the infamous Spike. I’m Ember.” She takes her hand out of coat pocket to shake his hand.

Spike shook her hand with a curious look on his face, “Well I thought you were some southern trash kid. But, I am gravely mistaken, looking the way do with the cute headband and matching earrings to your outfit.

Ember knew he was being cautious.

“Is that a complement or an insult Spike or should I say, William the Bloody.” Adding in a quiet whisper.

Spike was really starting to like this girl. She was sweet and a splashy slayer attitude. Just his kind of girl.

“You know about my real name and horrible reputation?”

Ember and Spike were walking out to her car after leaving baggage claim when she finally answered his question. “I can read your mind, well technically just your past.., not really I just read about you in an old slayer journal from way back when. I haven't been around you long enough to know everything about you. I’ll be learning that later when we get to my place.”

“Your place? Do you live in the city?”

“No. I live in a small town Spike and with my mother. But I can get a room in any hotel I want. My dad is rich and has given me that much luxury since he’s not in the picture.”

“Sorry, I know dads suck. I didn’t have one either.” Spike was letting her in, and only within the few minutes they’ve known each other.

“Well. My dad really sucks. I’ve only ever seen him on spontaneous visits. We’ve always tried to talk but I’m too much of a freak to be around him.”

“Freak? How the hell could you be a freak?”

“Wow Spike, language problem? No… I don’t want to talk about my powers. You know I’m a slayer but I’m more then I seem.”

Spike couldn’t be more confused. How could she be a freak, he was a vampire and he’s seen plenty of freaky things in his undead life but he couldn’t explain it. She was so different than any other slayer he’s met, granted it hadn’t been that many but still.

“Bollocks. Tell me what your dad is being a git about.”

 They finally made it to her car but she couldn’t look at him. She didn’t want to cry in front of someone she barely knows. But Spike was different; she hadn’t ever open up to someone so fast.

“I’m a slayer which makes me the chosen freak. He was a professor on Demonology in a town with a small college.”

“A scholar and a rotten father. That’s quiet the package.” Spike sad sarcastically.

Embers voice was starting to crack, trying not to get too upset. “In his world all those demons where mythical monsters, not ones who could crash through your front door.”

“Which is exactly what happened wasn’t it?” Spike was happy to see that she was still trying to be normal even with a huge duty thrust upon her. “How old where you?”

“I was ten. So young and innocent. I was going to be in the school musical and dad was so proud of his little song bird. Until he saw me elbow deep in a Chaos demon… literally.”

Ember was trying to open the car door but she dropper her keys. Spike and her both leaned down to get them, they both looked at each other and she smiled… her lip still trembling.

Spike saw a tear drop down her cheek; he grabbed it with the tip of his finger and felt the warmth and could smell the salt from it.

She quickly rose up and opened the door.

“I think that’s enough drama for tonight. Since it’s so late, how about we go to the Ramada. They have rooms with vampire windows so we don’t have to worry about you turning into a burnt little blonde man.”

“I’m not little and I’m all man.” He said with a very cheeky smile.

Ember thought he was the biggest flirt, which he was obviously. She couldn’t help but love his very James Bond charm. And the leather jacket sure didn’t help.

“You just love to hear yourself talk don’t you?” Her smile so devilishly coy.

Spike tilted his head and looked at her with his piercing blue eyes. “What can I tell you baby, I’ve always been bad.”

Ember and Spike finally got in the car. Once they got to the hotel, Ember was welcomed with open arms and grand gestures of hospitality. Spike was going to enjoy this. They tried to take his coat but he just shrugged them off.

“Don’t worry; you would have got it back.” Ember noticed he was very attached to the jacket.

“It’s like my second skin. I’m not whole without it.” He said very sternly. He walked off with his bag and stood at the elevator waiting for her to get the keys.

Ember started to laugh. They checked her in within seconds, although it started with giving her two rooms but one was big enough for both of them, especially with two beds. This was going to be a long night.