Introduction: End of Battle

The battle of the 'City of Angels' has finally ended. The only survivors being Angel and Spike after a long ongoing and fierce fight. Wesley, Gunn and Illyria are all dying for the belief that evil will never win and that good will conquer all. Spike never thought he would make it this far, especially knowing that this was his last chance for life - or unlife as he calls it. Given the last chance to become human, Angel agreed to fight. Unfortunately, the 'Powers That Be' decided that fighting off more demons than he could count wouldn't measure up to all the evil he had done in his past. As for Spike, he couldn't care less. He didn't really have anything worth fighting for now that Buffy was in Rome with her boyfriend, 'The Immortal', and he really hadn't found a new bird to hook-up with since he was recorporialized.

So, the battle has ended and all Spike could say was, "I'm sore in more ways than one."

Groaning from all the aches, bruises, cuts, and scrapes he had gathered, Spike felt like falling into nothingness or, if even possible, making it to his Desoto and downing a well-aged bottle of whiskey.

Leaning heavily against the alley wall, Angel allowed his head to fall back as he rested for a moment. "Well it could be worse; I could have limbs falling off." he rolled his eyes in Spike's direction and noticed he, too, was resting. "So, since the battle is over, what are you going to do? Take a breather and frolic through the meadow?" he asked, with a smirk.

Spike scoffed. "Fuck no. I'm moving to Fresno and leaving L.A. - forever." Staying in L.A. longer then needed was the last thing on his mind. His work here was done and he was going to the closest place he knew that was low key, quiet and demon free . . . except him of course.

"Why Fresno?" Angel asked. "Personally, I was thinking you were more of a Canada guy. You know, watch the sunset over the falls, or maybe even take a dip . . . it's not like you'd be killed."

"Are you finished with the snide comments?" Spike asked.

Angel shrugged. His smile faltered as curiosity hit him. "Why not go to another state or, hell I don't know, another country?" He silently wished that he could go somewhere so far away that he couldn't even have a phone to ring him in, bribing him for money or something.

"You trying to get rid of me Scotty-boy? I'm not so easily gotten rid of if you remember." Spike joked, suddenly thinking back to the good ole days; wrecking Europe with Dru, bathing in blood. Oh, how he missed those days.

"No, I just think you should leave California all together. You know why?" looking over at his not-so-best-friend, the same bell rang in their heads.

"Buffy." Spike whispered. Oh, how their minds unfortunately thought alike when it came to the thought of her. Angel's true love at one time and then Spikes at later time. Angel never would have thought that Buffy, of all people, would shack-up with Spike. Sure, he was never the perfect little angel but he sure was no close to the 'Big Bad' devil he knew Spike was deep inside.

Angel straightened up and adjusted his jacket. "Life is hard but being a vampire means life is longer and harder." That was the cold, undead truth of the matter, though they hadn't realized it until it was too late for them to change back. Yeah right, like that was possible at the time.

Spike turned and walked away slowly, waving goodbye to his only friend he had left. And even though him and Angel butted heads, it was still saddening to walk away alone. "Yeah well, it's been fun and I will not be around, but if you need me I'll be in Fresno." He muttered, half expecting Angel not to hear him.

"Your life has only just begun, Spike! Be ready for more." Angel shouted loudly, making sure that Spike heard him loud and clear. If only he knew of the future plans he had in store for him.

"What?" Spike asked, pretending like he never heard a bloody word Angel was saying.

"Nothing, Spike. Nothing at all." Angel knew that Spike was in for the test of his life, and in such a small package too, or so he thought.